Where do I start with the entire ecosystem?

Brass Contributor

A little bit of background, I've used 365 for the better part of the last decade and I'm fairly familiar with the platform for hybrid use, which is what we're doing now; on-prem AD, cloud-Exchange. That latter part, Exchange, has always been the main focus of the implementation. I'm looking to change that now, though.

We are looking to start taking advantage of everything else the ecosystem has to offer - namely things like Intune. We have a super flexible and semi-remote workforce spread out all over the nation and only see that becoming more and more spread out as years go on. Cloud seems to be the obvious answer and it would appear Microsoft offers a ton of capability to manage our endpoints, users, applications, etc etc.. from the cloud. 

The problem is I know very little about it and each time I start to google-fu and try to learn it, new things and services come up and I wonder if I'm in the correct place or not. It's not a secret that Microsoft isn't exactly stellar with their naming conventions ... and there seems to be about 598273598 different services which vaguely describe themselves and seem to have a lot of overlap.

Ideally what the end goal looks like here is we'd like to do as much as we are able to realistically do via the cloud services like Azure AD, Intune, Defender, AutoPilot, and so on... I imagine we'll still require an on-prem AD for things like GPO, Sites and Services, DNS/DHCP, blah blah blah... basically what we use it for now. The shortcoming with AD is when people leave the LAN, though.. and I'd prefer to avoid giving everybody a VPN connection when they don't actually need it for their day to day work.

So where the heck do I start to understand all of these services, what I have licensed already (bulk of our users will be Microsoft E3 within the next month or so, they're currently Office E3), what I will need additional licensing for, how do I manage endpoints remotely, how does all this work together, how it's setup, and so on... 

Is there a solid YT series or channel(s) you guys can recommend, for example, that does a high level overview of these services and how they all work and then how to set them up and manage? What does the initial enrollment process look like?

Thanks!

1 Reply
Hi dimforest,

Take a look at the online - free learning from Microsoft for M365 fundamentals. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/exams/ms-900. You don't have to take the exam, its just that the training links further down the page align to the exam.
There is also an Azure fundamentals equivalent. I would start with that. And if you want to understand a specific tech or service you can search that Microsoft learning site and there will be at least one module for you to dive a little deeper.

Thanks, Ash