When will encrypt email come to Outlook.com desktop?

Copper Contributor

Outlook.com through the web shows the following "Encrypt" button but using the full install of Outlook does not show an "Encrypt" button when creating a new message (should be under Options).  The full desktop version of Outlook is preferred over the web iteration.

Just wondering if the option will be included in a software update.

SteveLG_0-1656864327080.png

3 Replies

@SteveLG 

I am an independent advisor and investigating this post.

The Encrypt Email is available in Outlook Window (Desktop) version. You have to navigate to it manually.  Here are the steps.

• Click on the File tab, select Options
  • Click on | Trust Center | Trust Center Settings
  • Teresa_Cyrus_0-1656868100022.png

• Click on the Email Security tab. All the encrypted email settings are available. 
  • Teresa_Cyrus_1-1656868134621.png

Microsoft has not announced if they plan to add the Encrypted Tab to the desktop menu. Feel free to give Microsoft feedback.

If you find this response helpful, please mark it as the best response or like it.

Thank you and have a good day.

Teresa

#traccreations4e

The encryption options you mention have been there at least since Office 2007. This requires having a signing cert on your computer.
The methodology used in Outlook.com when used with a web browser is a bit different in that it makes you enter a passcode/password to read the message and/or attachments. It is not too dissimilar to what I had set up at work with Proofpoint prior to retiring--and yes, I do wish I had the same tool sets available.

@SteveLG 

Thank you for providing more details.  I will look into this feature more closely on Tuesday.  
Tomorrow is a US Holiday.

Stay tuned.