The new Outlook search in the title bar is disconnected from the content it searches

Steel Contributor

I appreciate the benefits of Microsoft Search in the Office apps but I'm getting feedback form multiple people that having the search in the title bar is unhelpful because they need to use the title bar for dragging the window around. In Outlook in particular, having the search box so far away from the content that you're searching is jarring. I understand the value of consistency, but I think that the utility of putting search with the content it searches overrides being consistent at all costs. Can we have an option to move the search box back down to the content in Outlook, and perhaps not to have it in title bars at all?

222 Replies

@Ed_Watkiss  WHere was this decision published (where did you see it)?  I'm not surprised.  Disappointing that customer feedback seems to count for very little in this case.  Some PM has probably rationalized it that you can drag & drop the window so "this isn't a problem" -- Nevermind the fact that no one likes the disconnected user experience.

My biggest problem is that the spot on the top of the window was where I could look to see what account and folder I am in. Without that, my situational awareness is often bad and I must spend time scrolling up and down the left hand column looking for the little highlight showing where I am. To my knowledge, there is no "function" to show that. If there is, I could add it to the Quick Access Toolbar.

@CapPike wrote:

(or switch to LibreOffice)

Switching to LibreOffice won't help since that doesn't include an email program equivalent to Outlook. Gnome Evolution is very close to equivalent to Outlook on Linux, but on Windows, the closest equivalent is EmClient. 

@Mary Branscombe 

After learning to live with this change over the last few weeks, suddenly, yesterday, the search field has gone back to where it used to be! Anybody else noticed that, or is it just me?

@Mary Branscombe 

Issue :  outlook search bar moved to top

Outlook Version 2007 Build 13029.20534

Problem 

Test Update Monthly Enterprise Channel 

It is easy to change to a differnt channel Office 365Pro+ channel:

Close ALL Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio…)

Open and CMD prompt as an administrator

type cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun and press the ENTER key

type either

OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Broad

OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Targeted

OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Monthly
and press the ENTER key

1. type OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user and press the ENTER key
  2. wait the 3 to 5 minutes it takes for the command to pull the relavent files down from the internet and install them

i found problem Search bar moved to title in Monthly Enterprise Channel Version 2006+

Current Channel200813127.20408September 9, 2020Version 2009 is released
Monthly Enterprise Channel200713029.20534September 8, 2020November 10, 2020
Monthly Enterprise Channel200613001.20648September 8, 2020October 13, 2020
Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel (Preview)200813127.20408September 8, 2020March 9, 2021
Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel200212527.21104September 8, 2020September 14, 2021
Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel190811929.20946September 8, 2020March 9, 2021

Solution 

download install.exe from website office.com and rename setup.exe

Create Config.xml

<Configuration>

<Updates Enabled="TRUE" TargetVersion="16.0.12624.20466" />

</Configuration>

Run command as Administrator

setup.exe /configure config.xml

echo y| REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\policies\microsoft\office\16.0\common\OfficeUpdate" /v "EnableAutomaticUpdates" /t REG_DWORD /d "0"

Regards,

WL

@Adam Lein, I can't believe that Microsoft have launched this update with such a major design flaw. Did they do any User Acceptance Testing at all??

The search bar position - here Outlook 2019 - is a nightmare:

ol search bar position.jpg

I would prefer it where it was, I (and many other users) didn't have an issue with its location. 

But I could - maybe - get used to it's new location. However, what frustrates me to no end, is that it no longer has the little dropdown on the right that defines the scope of the search (in current folder, or in current mailbox, or in all mailboxes). WHY would that not be there???

I saw some screenshots in which it appeared that it was there, but I can't get it to show up. Any tips would be appreciated.

@AmonRa

When you click on the search tab,

@ AmonRa

When you click on the search tab, you will see the drop down arrow on the right in the search box where the default is "All Mailboxes." You can also click on current folder if you prefer. See where I highlighted in yellow.  Hope this helps. 

Debbiejj

debbiejj_0-1604423452222.png

@debbiejj Thanks. That is exactly what I am talking about. However, I don't have that.

I see it in the search tab, but not in the search box itself. I'd love to get it there, just like it is in your pic.

AmonRa_0-1604439749710.png

@AmonRa 

What version of Outlook are you using? I am using 365 for business.  Can you upload a screenshot of your view?

@debbiejj I have office 2019. The screenshot of the Outlook search bar is above.

AmonRa_0-1604455300687.png

@AmonRa 

Hi AmonRa,

I haven't found an explanation yet, I'll keep looking and let you know if I figure something out. 

@debbiejj Thanks! I would appreciate any insights.

@Mary Branscombe 

I also hate this new search...proof microsoft does not care about its users...like it hired steve jobs corpse

@Mary Branscombe Beg to differ. I wasn't a fan at first either, but after some time getting used to it, I applaud the change. There is now consistency between all Office products.

I've found that this has made it easier to teach users about the functionality search offers, and I've seen users begin to use search more often across all Office products, and not only Outlook as they did before.