Syncing Local Active Directory Contacts

Iron Contributor

Previously we have always created external mail contact objects in Exchange online, but I may have a need to author them in Active Directory and sync them via Azure AD Connect instead. I haven't done this previously, and most of the information I can find on creating on-premises mail enabled contacts illustrates this using Exchange tools. 

Can we successfully create Active Directory contact objects and sync them to Exchange Online? If so, what attributes would we use to specify the organization email address and the external email address?

Thanks!

4 Replies

I am working on GALSync for o365, but our active directory isnt Azured yet. 

Is there a way I could sync contacts by using o365 and normal active directory? 

Hi Shya09

Yes, you can sync users, distribution lists and external contacts between Office 365 and local active directory by using Azure AD Connect. Please see here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/hybrid/reference-connect-accounts-permission...

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard Hi, how about doing this between SharePoint Online and Microsoft 365 (Outlook Contacts - whether permissioned from the desktop Outlook client or browser). Want SharePoint to grab my Outlook Contacts folder (not Global Address Book, which only brings up my fellow domain/tenant users - want all my Contacts folder). Tx. AAD? Not hyrbid or on-premises....