(Simple examples) Using PowerShell in Exchange Online to check mailboxes for inactivity!

MVP

Hi Microsoft 365 and Exchange Online friends,

This article is about checking the mailboxes for inactivity. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a few experiences that I would like to share.

I used the PowerShell ISE for this configuration. But you are also very welcome to use Visual Studio Code, just as you wish. Please start with the following steps to begin the deployment (the Hashtags are comments):

#The first two lines have nothing to do with the configuration, but make some space below in the blue part of the ISE

Set-Location C:\Temp
Clear-Host

#We need the module (without the parameter for a specific version)
Install-Module -Name ExchangeOnlineManagement -AllowClobber -Force -Verbose

#Let's import the module
Import-Module ExchangeOnlineManagement

#Check the version (if you have not selected a version)
Get-InstalledModule -Name ExchangeOnlineManagement

#Now we connect to Exchange Online
Connect-ExchangeOnline

#Let's check the accepted domain (just for info)
Get-AcceptedDomain | Format-List Domainname, *type*

#Specific information from a user
Get-Mailbox -Identity Email address removed | Format-List Identity,WhenCreated,ExchangeGUID

#Display the list of inactive mailboxes
Get-Mailbox -InactiveMailboxOnly | FT DisplayName,PrimarySMTPAddress,WhenSoftDeleted

#Export the list of inactive mailboxes
Get-Mailbox -InactiveMailboxOnly | Select Displayname,PrimarySMTPAddress,DistinguishedName,ExchangeGuid,WhenSoftDeleted | Export-Csv InactiveMailboxes.csv -NoType

#All mailboxes in one variable
$mailboxes = Get-Mailbox

#Latest date of receipt item
ForEach ($user in $mailboxes){
Get-MailboxFolderStatistics $user.name -IncludeOldestAndNewestItems | Sort-Object NewestItemReceivedDate |
Where-Object {$_.NewestItemReceivedDate -ne $null} | Select-Object Identity,NewestItemReceivedDate -last 1 }

#Last logon time
Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Get-MailboxStatistics | Select-Object DisplayName,LastLogonTime

#Last login for 90 days
Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Get-MailboxStatistics | Where{$_.Lastlogontime -lt (Get-Date).AddDays(-90)} | Select DisplayName, LastLoggedOnUserAccount, LastLogonTime

#Never Logged In
$mailboxes = Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited
$mailboxes | ForEach-Object {
$mbx = $_
$mbs = Get-MailboxStatistics -Identity $mbx.UserPrincipalName | Select-Object LastLogonTime
if ($mbs.LastLogonTime -eq $null){
$lt = "Never Logged In"
}else{
$lt = $mbs.LastLogonTime }

New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property @{
UserPrincipalName = $mbx.UserPrincipalName
LastLogonTime = $lt }
}

I hope this article was useful. Thank you for taking the time to read the article.

Best regards, Tom Wechsler

P.S. All scripts (#PowerShell, Azure CLI, #Terraform, #ARM) that I use can be found on github! https://github.com/tomwechsler

0 Replies