Retention for Deleted Files, Sites, Items Only

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Looking for feedback on he best way to set up Retention in this particular scenario.

Must keep ALL data, Sharepoint sites, files, emails.

UNLESS it has been purposefully Deleted, then I must retain for 90 days, then OK to permanently delete.

365Admin Retention Policies are all based on Created and Modified dates which I cannot use as I have files upwards of 20years old.

How does one keep all documents, sites, email, files and only delete deleted items after 90 days?

Should be simple but I've asked half dozen folks who say its not possible.

Thanks!

2 Replies

@TechGurl 

Hi, do you try in compliance sections?. You can establish in Information Government a retention policy including the site you need in a specific time.
Create and configure retention policies to automatically retain or delete content - Microsoft 365 Co...
I hope it can help you.

Regards.

We are facing the same challenge; we would like to configure retention policies based on the date the documents were deleted and not based on the age of the document.
Currently, this doesn’t seem to be possible. This article explains in detail how retention policies work:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/compliance/retention?view=o365-worldwide
I agree, this should be simple, I would like to create a feature request for this.