Outlook mobile & OWA apps observe shared folder permissions differently from Outlook Windows client.

Deleted
Not applicable

Using Outlook for Windows client app, if I open an unread message in a shared folder to which I have been granted ‘Reviewer’ (i.e. read-only) permission, the message is not then marked as ‘read’ for either me or the folder owner. However, if I use Outlook for Android or OWA to open the same message, that message is automatically marked as read – which the folder owner does not want. Also, I am permitted to manually mark it as read/unread. In contrast, Outlook for Windows requires me to  have 'Edit' (read / write) permission to be able to alter read / unread status on a message in a folder shared with me.

So there is a lack of consistency between Outlook for Windows and the Outlook mobile & OWA apps in the way shared folder permissions are enforced.  I've attached a detailed description of the business context in which this problem manifests and the difficulty it creates for producing good business process design.  I'd be grateful for any feedback or suggestions.

0 Replies