SOLVED

Outlook android app can't email AD distributiongroups

Copper Contributor

Hi all

Was pleased to see OL365 lets you add multiple mailboxes, something our other MDM provider doesn't.
However I was immediately disappointed to find it can't attach images, they become inline regardless as that option was removed apparently.
Following that disappointment I found users are unable to email the "allXYZbranch@company.com" email addresses (which are AD distribution groups containing users in each branch) but can email individual people.
Is there some option on the phone/OL365/intune/exchange/AD that is required for this to work?  Is something not syncing that needs to?
Any help appreciated!

5 Replies

Hi @GeoffMorgan,

You should be able to send as long as it is a distribution group- could you confirm that its not a local Outlook contact group?

Was this group created in local Active Directory, if so does it have an email address associated?

Are you able to send mail to this group from Outlook Online (https://outlook.office.com)?

Hi @boneyfrancis 

Yes the AD groups are long established and have an email address associated but if I open then OL address book on a desktop and search "all of xyz" I get shown "all of xyz branch" as the AD group that has a branchname @ domain .com email address.

The phones however don't seem able to lookup "all of xyz" or use the email address.  It's possible if someone emails the phone using send-as from the branch address that the phone can then reply but I've yet to get hold of one myself to confirm tests.
I'm unsure about sending from OLO as I wasn't aware these users could login to their email on a generic public site?

If you type branchname@domain.com, does the email address resolve to an account in Outlook. If you type the same in mobile app, what happens when you try to send the mail?
In dekstop OL the address branch@ is converted to the groupname "all of branch" which you could expand to turn into the members emails if desired.
On the phone I can't confirm until I can test myself but I'm understanding that neither resolve to anything
best response confirmed by GeoffMorgan (Copper Contributor)
Solution
So apparently the solution was to sync the AD distribution lists up to o365. In the words of our tech the problem was "just a missing part of the hybrid exchange setup", so now o365 should be able to email the distribution lists.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by GeoffMorgan (Copper Contributor)
Solution
So apparently the solution was to sync the AD distribution lists up to o365. In the words of our tech the problem was "just a missing part of the hybrid exchange setup", so now o365 should be able to email the distribution lists.

View solution in original post