Outlook 365

Copper Contributor

Been using it for several years now. Noticed that over a period of months that it would not download or send emails. But it was intermittent. Now it has totally stopped sending and receiving all together.

I have checked the Server settings. They are correct. I have run the Microsoft 365 repair program. I have run the outlook scan/fix program (can't remember what is is called). It is still not functioning. Thought it might be a server problem. I have loaded up Thunderbird email program. Everything is working fine. Emails in. Emails out. So to me that means that I have eliminated a server issue. I have also eliminated wrong server settings. So, there hast to be something going on with Outlook itself. Since I have run the 2 repair/fix programs, I really don't know where else to look.

Help? Got any ideas?

Bob

12 Replies
Not enough information

Where is your mail server?
What type of mail server is it?
What protocol are you using to connect to your server?
How big is your mailbox?
What is the item count per folder and then per mailbox?
What build of Office are you running? Version and build
Have you tried to check for updates?

Maybe with at least that infomation, we can try figure out what is going on

@David_Petree 

Where is your mail server? Email server is through Spectrum
What type of mail server is it? IMAP
What protocol are you using to connect to your server? Don't understand what you are asking.
How big is your mailbox? Going to have to tell me where I can find this.
What is the item count per folder and then per mailbox?Going to have to tell me where I can find this.
What build of Office are you running? Version and build Version: 18.2106.124100.0 Build??
Have you tried to check for updates? Yes

That is about all I can give you without some more guidance.

Bob

@davet354tfd 

Thank You for the updates

• Have you reached out to Spectrum?
  • How many accounts do you have in outlook?
  • What Office 365 Subscription do you have?
  •  
  • (For Future reference)
    • "What Protocol are you using to connect to your server" - I know you said you don't understand that one, but its ok, you already answered it. The protocol you are using is IMAP.
    • There are only three types of protocols you can use, it would be "POP, IMAP, or Exchange (Mapi)
    • How big is your mailbox? Going to have to tell me where I can find this.
      • In Outlook, click File on top left. Go down on that page just a bit, and do you see a button that says "Tools" and to the right of that, does it show you your mailbox size? Not sure whether IMAP shows this or not, but it will look something like this:
      • Screenshot 2021-11-20 102030.png
    • What is the item count per folder and then per mailbox?
      • On the same screenshot above, click the tools button, then click "mailbox Size". It will show you the total size of your mailbox and show you the size of each folder. Not familiar with IMAP so not sure if it will show the same for you.
    • What build of Office are you running? Version and build Version: 18.2106.124100.0 Build??

So far there is nothing that you have said, or even from the stuff you did say, that points this to a Microsoft issue. If I was you, I would reach out to spectrum. It can still be a slim chance of it being a Microsoft issue, but that will be answered when you can answer how big your mailbox and the item count. If it is super large, then that can point a bit back to it being a Outlook issue, but it does not look like it.  A few things you can do to narrow down what the issue could be is you could create a new outlook profile and connect it only to the spectrum account. Do not add any other mailboxes in that profile, only spectrum. You could also try it from a different machine, or you can create a new windows profile. These all are just things to test and see what happens. Could be a bad Outlook Profile, could be a bad .PST file, could be a bad windows profile. 

It could still be a outlook/office issue, but that is a very slim chance. Do some research online to see if you can pinpoint what the issue is. Right now, you don't know. You just must start eliminating things that it "could" be, and when you get finished, you should be left with just a few things.

Look online for help

Search for articles that can help, like Why Is My Spectrum Email Not Working Properly 2021 on Various Devices (supportforusa.com)

I will do some more searching for answers. Not sure if Spectrum is the problem either.
As I stated in the original post, I have the Thunderbird Email program up and running with no issues at all, using the same server set up as outlook. But, I will investigate more into the server. I will also look into the other stuff you suggested and get back to you.

Bob
Accounts in outlook 4
How big is mailbox: used 61338 total 61405

Tried to change the outgoing server and it would not save the new settings.

Where did I get the office version number: Got it after opening up the office suite, went to settings, then to About/version. Version : 18.2106.12410.0
Correlation ID : 6d419e0b-3aa4-46fc-b9d9-687cbf45b968
Session ID : 0b012234-019a-4c16-b740-007f548a7798

Forgot to mention that outlook does not always start up when clicking on the icon. Have to go into the Task manager and end task, then it will start up. It also seems to be synchronizing for ever.

Bob
Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2110 Build 16.0.14527.20270) 64-bit
Accounts in outlook: 4
How big is the mailbox: 61338 used, 61405 total
Tried to make some server setting changes and it would not let me save them.

Forgot to add this earlier, when starting outlook most times it will not start. I have to go into task manager and end task. Then it will start.
It is also synchronizing all the time.

Bob
Thanks for the update.

Yes, that version/build number looks a lot better....lol

Since there are 4 different accounts in your outlook, you do not know what account could be messing things up. I am giving you the same answer and steps that I would tell any user who opened a support case for Microsoft. The next test would be to shut outlook down, go to control Panel, On the top right of that page, choose the dropdown and set it to Large Icons, then go click on "Mail (Microsoft Outlook)", you can create a new profile and add only your spectrum account, then set it up so it launches into that new profile. There will be no mail in that outlook profile, but you will get all the new mail coming in. It is just for testing but see if it helps. Bottom line is, you want to narrow down what the issue can be, and creating a new profile, which is only connected to one account is the best way to do that at this point.

Of course, if it were an Office 365 issue, the techs could remote in and see what is going on, since we have no way to do that, we must rely on you to test each account.

Good luck

Got the new profile set up into my main spectrum account. You say "then set it up so it launches into that new profile." You are going to have to tell me how to do this.

Bob
Close outlook down, go to Control Panel, click on the Mail icon. A window will pop up, click "Show Profiles". You will see all your profiles in the top window. The default says "Outlook". Since you say you have got your new profile setup, you had to give it a name. So, in that box, you will see "Outlook" and whatever you just named your new profile.
Below that box, at the bottom of that window, there are two radio buttons. Default is set to "Always use this profile" and in the dropdown below it, it shows you what profile will always open when you launch Outlook.

Since you just setup your new profile, change the radio button from "Always use this profile" to "Prompt for a profile to be used". Select that one.

So, now when you open outlook, you will have a pop up that basically says "Choose what profile to open. Use the dropdown and select the new one you just created, and that will let outlook open in that new profile you just created.

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/create-an-outlook-profile-f544c1ba-3352-4b3b-be0b-8d42a54...

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/switch-to-another-outlook-email-profile-be3b617f-3f64-43d...
OK. Got the new profile created (test outlook) and am able to switch to it now when Outlook opens.
Was able to send emails to the new profile. When I tried to send emails from the new profile, it took for ever for it to send. It did send but the time frame it took to send is not acceptable. I still have to go into task manager and end outlook before it will open up.
Making progress, but still have some issues.
OK. Got the new profile created (test outlook) and am able to switch to it now when Outlook opens.
Was able to send emails to the new profile. When I tried to send emails from the new profile, it took for ever for it to send. It did send but the time frame it took to send is not acceptable. I still have to go into task manager and end outlook before it will open up.
Making progress, but still have some issues.