SOLVED

Outlook (365) Need Password - Issue

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We are using E3, outlook 365 in our company. Some of our users' outlook stop sync with exchange and ask for password, as shown in below image:

Password Issue - Copy.JPG

to fix the issue, I clear entries in Credential Manager, Delete Temporary Files, unchecked "Use Cached Exchange mode", restart system and check this again.

but after some couple of days, outlook again stop sync and ask for password.

I'll appreciate for any possible support to fix this issue permanently.

Thanks,     

127 Replies
Ive got the same issue, but nothing works.

We got an AD-Connect (2012 R2) and a Domain Controller. (2012).
Go to control panel \ Credential Manager \ Email address and update password. this issue will fix.
I don't see any email address setting in Credential Manager.

@BEBaker 

1. Find the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity

2. Create DWORD value (32-Bit) called EnableADAL

3. Right-click the new DWORD, click edit, change to decimal 0

4. Within the same registry key create another DWORD value
(32-Bit) called DisableADALatopWAMOverride

5. Right-click the new DWORD, click edit, change to decimal 1

6. Close the registry editor and reboot

HISTORY OF THIS PROBLEM:
We've probably seen this problem half a dozen times or so in the last year and every time I came across it I could never find a fix no matter how much Googling I did. Finally I have the solution (or at least the solution that's worked for me)...

outlook need password no prompt

This problem for me was always with Outlook 2010 and 365 mailboxes. The initial setup of Outlook would work fine and Outlook WOULD connect. However after the initial setup you close Outlook and when you open it again (2nd time onwards) Outlook would say need password but would never display the normal username & password box. So basically there is nowhere to type in the needed user credentials and Outlook never connects.

HOW TO FIX OUTLOOK NEEDS PASSWORD BUT NO PASSWORD PROMPT APPEARS:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Locate and then select the following registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft
\Office\14.0\Common\General

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) value.

4. Type DoNotQueryUserNotificationState, and then press ENTER.

5. Right-click DoNotQueryUserNotificationState, and then click Modify.

6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

7. Exit Registry Editor.

Try This Solution

@Thshah 

Thank you.  Are you suggesting both of those sets of registry edits?  Items 1 thru 6 and also 1 thru 7?

I made both of these changes a week ago, and for the first time in over two years of fighting this problem, I think this has solved it!!! Outlook eventually got to the point where it was asking for the password again, but a dialog box actually came up and allowed me to enter and keep working. Thank you very much for the help!!!

have had this issue with Windows 10 and now seeing on Windows 11.

also symptom is Onedrive loses connectivity and Start menu / Search not working. 

has your team looked into root cause?

The Registry fix, does fix outlook Most of the times. 

we have also used Add-AppxPackage -Register
"
C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy\Appxmanifest.xml
"
-DisableDevelopmentMode -ForceApplicationShutdown in Powershell but some times it does not fix.@Christopher Hoard 

I think it has something to do with the login box as if you may see, it will quickly flash and then need password
once you run the registry fix, the box comes up, SSO logs in and issue is corrected. MS Team needs to research this as it has impacted a lot of our users and we have had to issue new systems at times as some of the fixes, do not work.
We just got this issue when moving users from Office2016 to Office2021 and migrating their profiles between servers. Seemed to only happen where users had additional delegated accounts in their Outlook. I tried a few of the suggested fixes (Cleared Credentials from Credential Manager, started Outlook /safe) but not help.

I went to a solution I don't think I've seen suggested but is one I've used to fix Teams login issues and it worked!

Delete/Rename the following folder in the user's profile (user must be logged off to make these changes):

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy

The next time the user logs in this folder gets recreated. Teams and Outlook started and prompted for credentials and working correctly now.

@davidtg thank you for the post.  I was able to rename that folder, but windows and Outlook started up normally with no password prompts and still says "Need Password".  Any thoughts?

@Muhammad Ali Khan 

I solved the issue by referring to this MS help page:

Outlook continually prompts for your password when you try to connect to Microsoft 365

Specifically I downloaded and ran the Self-diagnostics tool, selecting Diag: Outlook keeps asking for my password.

At the end of the auto diagnosis, the tool told me that my install of Outlook 2013 was not configured for "Modern Authentication" and gave me the option of either letting the tool fix the issue (which I did) or manually following the instructions here: Enable Modern authentication for Office 2013 on Windows devices

I then restarted Outlook 2013 and saw a new login prompt, different from the dialog that didn't work before and after entering my details Outlook successfully connected.

@Thshah 

I tried to follow to steps but I don't have folder 14.0 under office. I have 11.0, 12.0, 15.0, 16.0 and 8.0

Which one should I click.

I have ongoing issues with Outlook loosing access to Microsoft Exchange. Needs Password is displayed but no prompts to enter the password. The only way to fix this is to rebook my laptop. This happens 1-2 times per week. I use Microsoft 365 and Windows 11

@MonikaS0913  Depends what version of 365 you are running. In Outlook click File > Account > About. It will display the version you are using. Most likely click the folder 15.0 which would be the latest. First check your version.

It's Outlook for Microsoft 365 MSO Version 2210 Build 16.0.15726.20188) 64 bit
Click About, it will say something like this:
Microsoft® Outlook® 2019 MSO (Version 2210 Build 16.0.15726.20188) 64-bit
Is it 2019?
If you open the Registry editor and open the folder 15.0 you will see Common\General then continue from step 3.
After you apply this close the registry editor and restart the computer.
This fix didn't work for me I solved it by installing Professional Plus 2019 then logging in with my 365 account. Not an option for most people as Pro Plus is a perpetual version not an annual subscription.

@Muhammad Ali Khan 

This is a late reply but since it is still a known issue I thought I would share how I fixed it. I know this likely wont work for everyone as I believe there are multiple causes for this issue.

I typically see it when setting up new client laptops that have Office/Outlook 365 and MFA enabled and are running Windows 11 Pro. When launching Outlook it shows "Need password", if you click that prompt a login screen appears and disappears immediately.

I tried clearing credential manager and setting up a new profile but the issue persists.

Finally I found under Settings> Accounts> Access work or school, they had a duplicate domain account listed. I disconnected one, and both disappeared. I then launched Outlook and a typical login screen appeared, I entered their credentials, passed the MFA check and Outlook connected and the issue was resolved.

@Thshah 

Thanks for your solution. I had the issue after I was requested to re-activate my Office 365 subscriptions. My previous outlook 365 then became Mondo 2016, and then one of my exchange server email accounts needed to re-enter the password. I tried many other people's solutions and did not work. However,  when I followed exactly BEBaker's solution below, it worked! Many thanks. 

@BEBaker

1. Find the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity

2. Create DWORD value (32-Bit) called EnableADAL

3. Right-click the new DWORD, click edit, change to decimal 0

4. Within the same registry key create another DWORD value
(32-Bit) called DisableADALatopWAMOverride

5. Right-click the new DWORD, click edit, change to decimal 1

6. Close the registry editor and reboot

Hi Guys,
I work as a tech guy for a large firm that uses outlook as our basic email sender and as of the last week or so we've had an increase of these "needs password" sync errors turn up. 

Initially we were having issues that users were working from home then having errors trying to sync with the exchange server, then they would log in office and the issue would resolve itself. however this issue has evolved to being users in office, the only recourse we have is to recreate the outlook profile in control panel and resync their profile with the system, the issue is if users have attempted to send emails before they noticed the error the outbox is usually stuck on the old, out of sync profile. for the last week we received 3 of these errors a day from different users. so far our attempts to fix this has turned cold and using fixes given in the conversation have been unable to fix the problem outright. we've tried a few changes to the registry and a cache flush of outlook as well. 

Can anyone Advise what we need to do to get rid of this error? as the ramp in number for the error is concerning. 

@Muhammad Ali Khan 

I tried all the solutions on this thread and it was only when I attempted to add the AAD.Broker plugin that I got a meaningful error message, namely that the Web Account Manager service was not running. I started this and then the password dialog correctly appeared and I could sign in (to Word 365 in this case.

Hope this helps someone.

Had the same issue and this worked for me. Thank You!