onmicrosoft.com alias

Copper Contributor

Hello :) 

I am struggling to understand precisely what the xx@domain1.onmicrosoft.com alias is for ? 

Is it necessarry for it to be there ? 

Why do most users in our organization have it but a few do not ? 

Kind Regards 

Allin 

6 Replies

@Allinilla 

here is the details document that explains about OnMicrosoft cases you can and you cannot do.

If you want to have your email look like alan@contoso.com: buy the domain or just follow the steps in Add your users and domain to Office 365 if you own it already.

• You can't rename the onmicrosoft domain after sign-up. For example, if the initial domain you chose was fourthcoffee.onmicrosoft.com, you can't change it to be fabrikam.onmicrosoft.com. To use a different onmicrosoft.com domain, you'd have to start a new subscription with Office 365.

• You can't rename your team site URL. Your team site URL is based on your onmicrosoft.com domain name. Unfortunately, because of the way SharePoint Online architecture works, you can't rename the team site.

• You can't remove your onmicrosoft domain.Office 365 needs to keep it around because it's used behind the scenes for your subscription. But you don't have to use the domain yourself after you've added a custom domain.

You can keep using the initial onmicrosoft.com domain even after you add your domain. It still works for email and other services, so it's your choice.

Thank you :) @PDostiyar but I still don´t understand : what is the consequence of either having or not having the onmicrosoft.com alias for each individual user in the O365 admin section ? 

Kind regards 

Allin 

@Allinilla 

Microsoft 365 needs to keep it around because it's used behind the scenes for your subscription.

But you don't have to use the domain yourself after you've added a custom domain and the reason it is there since while you were doing subscription to Microsoft 365 that was selected by default so if you want to create a new Tenant you can create it without this but you cannot remove it from existing one.

I@PDostiyar I am sorry to test your patience but I still do not understand that more than a few of our users do not have the alias - how can this be, if it is necessary to have ? 

Kind regards 

Allin  

@AllinillaOhh no problem at all this is why we are part of this great Microsoft Tech Community,

I think it is more of your own setting you should be able to remove it from every user if you already have a custom domain which I believe you do, so if you have Hybrid Exchange you can do it from On-prem if you have only Exchange online do it there.

i hope this will give you the answer you are looking for!

@PDostiyar  Hi..Hope you are doing well...

We had deleted our global admin one month ago by another admin account but we were unaware that it was a real global admin. after deleted that account, there is no admin account in our organization. can you please assist me how we can login our admin portal by using onmicrosoft.com account..