SOLVED

Office365 group triggers an NDR but delivers the mails to it's members

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

Many thanks in advance, the issue over here is an Office365 user is sending out an email to an Office 365 Group mailbox keeping the id in CC. The mail however gets delivered, but the sender gets the below error message. Was wondering what could be the reason behind this

AggregateGroupMailbox.A.201611060153@domain.com
Remote Server returned '554 5.2.2 mailbox full; STOREDRV.Deliver.Exception:QuotaExceededException.MapiExceptionShutoffQuotaExceeded; Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message The process failed to get the correct properties.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by PoorMens_Bravo (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Since Office 365 Group act like both mailbox and DG, delivery is handled a bit differently for them. As the message suggest, it looks like the mailbox itself is full, thus generating the NDR. But parallel to delivering to the group mailbox, Exchange will expand the membership and deliver the message to any "subscribed" members. Overall I think this is the expected behavior, but you can always open a support case to confirm it.

Hi Vasil,

Thanks for your reply, I ran the below command and I could see the size occupied is 3.6 GB

Get-Mailbox -GroupMailbox -Identity "groupid" | Get-MailboxStatistics | fl TotalDeletedItemSize,TotalItemSize

TotalDeletedItemSize : 258.2 KB (264,406 bytes)
TotalItemSize : 3.6 GB (3,865,657,378 bytes)

How do I check it's limits??

You can use Get-Mailbox to check the quota... although the default one is 50GB, so unless you've played with it, this is a bit strange...

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by PoorMens_Bravo (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Since Office 365 Group act like both mailbox and DG, delivery is handled a bit differently for them. As the message suggest, it looks like the mailbox itself is full, thus generating the NDR. But parallel to delivering to the group mailbox, Exchange will expand the membership and deliver the message to any "subscribed" members. Overall I think this is the expected behavior, but you can always open a support case to confirm it.

View solution in original post