Office ProPlus Apps crashing constantly

Brass Contributor

Hi,

we are facing since few weeks the problem that Office Apps (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, not Outlook) are constantly crashing for a few users when they try to open a document from Sharepoint Online, similar if it from Teams, Sharepoint or a mapped network drive to a sharepoint library. The eventlog is showing the known error with the mso20win32client.dll file, but all suggestions to fix this problem didn't help unfortinately. Curiously the Office programs are working when the same document ist copied locally on the C: drive^^

We tried scrubbing and reinstalling Office ProPlus from the portal.office.com, several registry keys changing and deleting, user logging out and back in into office, tried different user account within the same windows profile, several Office trust center options and internetoptions for trusted/intranet and internet sites, deleting the registered keys via ospp.vbs and so on.

Also this crash happens when docs are opened from a local OneDrive folder but if we disable the OneDrive option "Office Documents sync when opened" documents within OneDrive folder can be opened again.

Another workaround is to install an Office ProfessionalPlus 2016 with a dedicated key but this is not a solution our customer wants to implement if this issue spreads through all its employees. Currently 5 people are affected by this heavily which have no common groudn together.

Do you have any other ideas or solution for this issue?
Thanks and Regards

Alu

8 Replies
FYI Issue was solved by MS support with deleting certain temporary files in the local filesystem.
What is the locationnof those temp files??
@Julian12
Could you share the solution for this issue? I would greatly appreciate, since we are facing the same problem with a couple of our workstations.
Thank you in advance!
Hey, sry for late response, file location was:
C:\users\$($user)\appdata\local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\OfficeFileCache
Sometimes setting this reg entry helps with this and other autosave issues:
HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Word\Options -Name 'DontSaveRsid' -value 0
Thanks a lot! Hopefully it will work out for us, too.

@Julian12 we're not getting an error message but since the most recent Office 365 update PowerPoint has been crashing regularly especially when co-authoring. We've done a repair and even a full fresh installation with no imporovement. 

@Julian12 

Thanks for the description, your solution fixed the problem for me.

For some reason my office created a folder C:\users\$($user)\appdata\local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\OfficeFileCache1. Removing this folder solved the issue. Probably some corrupt file in my file cache.
Preceding this issue, I had a Windows update (Windows 10); I suspect that that could have something to do with the problem I encountered.

I'm still having this issue on a weekly basis, we're on version 2002 (Build 12527.21104). My coworkers use the cloud versions of Word, Excel, Powerpoint - so it is only affecting me in the desktop apps. It would be great if Microsoft could resolve this issue. The only workaround I've heard that works for people is to turn off the AutoSave feature in the desktop apps.