SOLVED

Microsoft Teams error when trying to open Word (or other office apps) inside Teams

Copper Contributor

Good morning, 

We had a member of the organisation raise this to us a couple of days ago, originally thought it was user specific. However, it is now doing the same for my account, and some other staff members accounts. 

When trying to open the Word or any of the office apps in Teams, it says "Word is not available for you, please contact your 365 admin."

Is anyone able to advise on this please? Is this a known error? 

I look forward to hearing from you!

George

10 Replies
Hello,
Do you face the same if opening Word from SharePoint?
Hi Andres,

Thank you for your response, the answer is no I do not, I can create new documents and open existing word documents through SharePoint.

Thank you
Maybe something that you already did but what about clear Teams cache?
I have tried this already with no luck
It's unexpected that you can't reproduce the error from SharePoint trying to open the same document.
Can you show a screenshot of the error? Did you try both with Web and Desktop versions of Teams?
We are having the same issue with a client with their Teams app. The issue just appears to happen on the desktop application of Teams.

I am getting this too with any office app with desktop and browser version of Teams.  I can open existing file types but can't create new from within Teams.  @ghandy 

dwebb05_0-1675706466605.png

dwebb05_1-1675706500840.png

best response confirmed by ghandy (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@dwebb05 Good morning, 

I found out from another forum that hiding app tiles in SharePoint would cause this problem...

https://XXX-admin.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/online/TenantSettings.aspx and change the settings to show app tiles  - this worked for the organisation I am in!

More than welcome! Spent a fair amount of time researching this myself and there's hardly anything out there regarding this, so glad to be of help.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ghandy (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@dwebb05 Good morning, 

I found out from another forum that hiding app tiles in SharePoint would cause this problem...

https://XXX-admin.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/online/TenantSettings.aspx and change the settings to show app tiles  - this worked for the organisation I am in!

View solution in original post