SOLVED

Microsoft List template Asset Manager Column type "Thumbnail"

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I am learning the new Microsoft List and checking into the pre-built template "Asset Manager".  Looking at all columns there is one called "Device Photo" and type is "Thumbnail".  I don't recall SharePoint has such type available and the only closest type I can think of is "Hyperlink or Picture".  When I try to enter data to this template list, there is no method to add image or URL to this Device Photo column.  Just wondering if this is something new and have a special way to enter data for such column type?  Usually building something from pre-made template should allow data entry and even further customization.  I can't figure this out so any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Sally

15 Replies

I'm struggling with this as well. Can't find any way to set that image in the Asset Manager template. Watching this marketing video she's also doing things like editing a "Tile View" that I don't have and I also don't have the option to create a new view either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plshQSoe_OY   I'm guessing that maybe Lists, even though available to our users, shouldn't actually be available yet as it is maybe not ready for prime time.

I was playing with this template the other day as well and ran into the same issue. There seems to be no way to populate that column :sad: Which it too bad as this is EXACTLY what we need right now >_<

@Phill Hodgkinson  Seems like we don't have the full interface yet.

By the look of it in the video she is in a "Microsoft Lists Portal Section" but currently Microsoft Lists management is only available in Teams. There is no overarching dashboard in portal.office.com

I wonder if this is functionality that we can expect to get soon or if it is functionality that has since been removed from the app?

Same here. Seems like something is missing. I've never seen this column type before and there is apparently no way to set it.
best response confirmed by Chi-Lien Lee (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi all,

I found out what happened - you can see from here, the "Improve Image column" with under development, for release some time in September.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-sharepoint-blog/sharepoint-roadmap-pitstop-july-202...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=64872

Alvin

@Alvin_UK  Thanks for digging that up and sharing it. Rather odd, but maybe not too surprising, that they showcase this ability in promo videos and it's a key part of some of their default templates at launch yet totally non-functional. And now the guessing game of when it will actually be fixed, rolled-out and then eventually make it to our various tenants. November or December?

@Phill Hodgkinson  Yes I felt it was misadvertised too. I had been discussing with users how they could take advantage of the thumbnail feature so frustration all round.

To look on the bright side, at least Microsoft are building useful new features!

@Chi-Lien Lee 

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.
Hope it gets added soon.

@HM-Noel Plus one here. I've been searching all over. 

This has been driving me nuts as well.  After watching the introduction and feature videos, the gallery view and image support is what makes 95% of this useful for our company and its been greyed out with no explanation anywhere.  Even more frustrating is that Gallery views have existed for us and they even recently provided the below update on gallery views.  Should have been completed to Targeted Release by end of September.  As I said, I have it, but seriously, what is the point of a gallery view with no image support to go along with it???

MC221952, Stay Informed, Published date: Sep 11, 2020
New feature, User impact
We are adding gallery view to SharePoint and Microsoft Lists, providing four main views when configuring lists: list, grid, gallery, and calendar

This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 57304

When this will happen

We will begin rolling out to targeted release customers in mid-September and expect to complete the rollout the end of September.
Standard release rollout will begin the end of September and should be complete by mid-October.

@Chi-Lien Lee 

2 things.

1) It seems that the fix is in for adding an image to the Device Photo column. I had a previously "broken" MS List using the Asset Manager template that now allows uploading a photo - and a new List created today is also working for uploading to the Device Photo column.

2) What is still not fixed is the Gallery view and the display of the device's photo. But I believe I have found the fix.  In the JSON code for the Gallery view change this line as follows:

"src": "=if([$DevicePhoto] == '', '', [$DevicePhoto])",

to

"src": "=if([$DevicePhoto] == '', '', [$DevicePhoto.serverRelativeUrl])",

I tracked down the available properties on an image field from this Docs on list formatting.

Important to note - case matters - so "ServerRelativeURL" will not work.

The image field object has the following properties (with example values):
{
  "fileName": "image.png",
  "id": "6bb1d843-0633-4c9a-9a16-90bc5abd1d8e",
  "serverRelativeUrl": "/teams/Discovery/SiteAssets/Lists/ad6ed939-0db2-4d85-8a39-8f3497f41eee/image.png",
  "serverUrl": "https://contoso.sharepoint.com"
}

snap00797.png

@Joe Gasper 

Mine looks like this:

},
"attributes": {
"src": "=[$DevicePhoto.serverUrl] + [$DevicePhoto.serverRelativeUrl]",
"title": "[$DevicePhoto.fileName]",
"class": "sp-card-imagePreview"
}

Should I replace it with :

"src": "=if([$DevicePhoto] == '', '', [$DevicePhoto.serverRelativeUrl])",

Hi, @Sara Laidlaw 

Your code looks a little different from the default code in the Asset manager Asset gallery, but I think you could set that line as just:

"src": "[$DevicePhoto.serverRelativeUrl]",

(The If statement should work also, it's just a check for if there is an image provided.)

@Joe Gasper 

Odd, I used the Asset Manager list template today.

Maybe they are working on it. But it isn't right yet.

Thanks!

@Sara Laidlaw  Here's the exact JSON (from my tenant) on a freshly minted Asset manager's Asset gallery view with the updated line to fix the device photo.

https://gist.github.com/joegasper/d3ac1f29a5eebe06e1435cff56f9e828

@Joe Gasper 

So....it would appear that you may have had issues because the updated "image" column type was not yet available in your tenant. The road map didn't do a great job of saying that there will be an ENTIRELY NEW column type called image as shown in the screen shot below. I hope this helps...or maybe you already knew.Image-Column.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Chi-Lien Lee (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi all,

I found out what happened - you can see from here, the "Improve Image column" with under development, for release some time in September.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-sharepoint-blog/sharepoint-roadmap-pitstop-july-202...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=64872

Alvin

View solution in original post