SOLVED

Mailbox in M365 EXO delete

Copper Contributor

Hello,

how is it possible to remove (deactivate) the mailbox and not remove the entire user account in m365 as other services such as teams, sharepoint, onedrive already contain data.

it should be mentioned that the users are currently created in a hybrid environment, as a synchronization of an onprem AD by AAD connect in m365 and get the m365 services to be used by the appropriate license assignment.

right here is also the problem, with the account shown as accidentally assigned the exchange online plan 2 option, so the workflow in m365 created the mailbox.but a simple removal of the license option did not do the reverse here, i.e. deleted the mailbox.there is only a reference to an error in the m365 portal.

i appreciate your feedback, advice!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by gu_sta_vo_6 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi there!
If you have a hybrid you could use Exchange management shell to deactivate the remote mailbox of the user and then remove the Exchange Online service in the license.

Otherwise, removing the Exchange Online service from the license should be enough. Note that per default the retention of Exchangbe Online mailboxes is 30 days, so before 30 days has passed you could still see the mailbox in the admin portal.

Let me know if this helps you or if you need further guidance!

Kind Regards
Oliwer
hello and thank you for your response!
i will try it out and let u know.

kind regards,

Kostas
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by gu_sta_vo_6 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi there!
If you have a hybrid you could use Exchange management shell to deactivate the remote mailbox of the user and then remove the Exchange Online service in the license.

Otherwise, removing the Exchange Online service from the license should be enough. Note that per default the retention of Exchangbe Online mailboxes is 30 days, so before 30 days has passed you could still see the mailbox in the admin portal.

Let me know if this helps you or if you need further guidance!

Kind Regards
Oliwer

View solution in original post