SOLVED

Microsoft 365 - upgrade windows 7 to Windows 10

Steel Contributor

if you have Microsoft 365 E3\E5 license, how do we upgrade existing windows 7 to Windows 10?

thanks 

27 Replies
The option to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 was available earlier. But as of now it's stopped, without purchasing a Windows 10 license it's not possible to install Windows 10 in any system.
microsoft 365 comes with windows 10 license, how do we upgrade?
Microsoft Office 365 doesn't give any Windows 10 Operating System licence, only Office product comes with Office 365. The system requirement to run the new Office 365 is Windows 10. It will not run in any Windows of older version.
If you have Windows devices running an activated copy of Windows 7 Pro, Windows 8 Pro, or Windows 8.1 Pro, your Microsoft 365 Business subscription entitles you to a Windows 10 upgrade.

For more information on how to upgrade Windows devices to Windows 10 Pro Creators Update, follow the steps in the link below.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/upgrade-windows-devices-to-windows-pro-creators-update-ffc4...

how about if you are upgrading items below?

- Windows 10 home to Windows 10 pro?

- Windows 10 pro to Windows 10 Enterprise?

For home to pro just buy a license key and upgrade
For pro to ent either purchase a key or use the CSP method! Then you add the win 10 license in the office 365 portal on the users and they will automatically upgrade seamlessly! This requires additional steps beforehand though

Microsoft 365 offering includes a windows 10 enterprise upgrade license

Office 365 alone does not

Windows 10 home to Windows 10 pro?

You need either Windows 10 Pro, or Windows 7/8.1 Pro to upgrade.

Windows 10 pro to Windows 10 Enterprise?

This is supported. For both M365 Business and M365 Enterprise paths, simply add the licensing to each user, then sign that user into Azure Active Directory. When each user with a valid M365 Windows entitlement signs in, their Operating System will slipstream upgrade to either Windows 10 Business or Windows 10 Enterprise from Windows 10 Pro. If that user removes their Azure Active Directory sign-in, their Operating System will revert back to Windows 10 Pro.

Hi,

Use your system management tool to upgrade Win7 to Win 10 and then assign and then assign the M365 E3/E5 license to the user but make sure you selecting Windows 10 Enterprise license in M365 E3/E5. 

Refer to Windows 10 Subscription Activation.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/windows-10-enterprise-subscription-activation

I'm trying to setup Windows 10 subscription activation using M365. When you say "sign that user into Azure Active Directory". Do you mean add the AAD user as an account in settings on the Windows 10 computer? I've tried that and it hasn't worked?

This user has an M365 A3 licence in Office 365 and is running on a Windows 10 Pro machine.

Thanks,

Nigel

You have to (hybrid )join the machine to azure either with an Ad service connection point or manually! The documentation explains this

Adam

The on-prem AD has Azure AD connect setup and the machines are hybrid joined using that. The AD users and computers appear in the Azure AD and I've assigned the AD users an A3 licence in Office 365. The AD has an internal domain name so the users appear in Azure AD as an onmicrosoft.com domain. I'm just missing the probably obvious last step of how these users then activate the Windows 10 subscription so that the Windows 10 pro computer becomes enterprise.

I can't logon to the Windows 10 computer using the Azure AD username (user@<mydomain>.onmicrosoft.com) so I'm not sure what "sign in to the Azure AD" means in the earlier part of the thread to enable the activation. Or exactly what documentation is this from as I've followed all I could find?

Thanks,

Nigel

best response confirmed by Jono Green (Microsoft)
Solution

Please add the UPN (your office 365 custom domain) in your AD and attach this to your users in AD as their UPN! This change should now sync! 

If they are hybrid joined they should be able to login with their UPN now

Also: make sure that the GPO for "Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations" is TURNED OFF!

Just to make sure: Do your licenses include Windows 10??

Adam

He mentioned M365 A3 in an earlier comment so yes there should be the license. 

Updating the UPN suffix when using AD Connect is quite important and if you're using EMS down the line to manage the devices you might strike trouble here as well with an internal domain suffix as UPN. Having a .local suffix is called a non-routable domain suffix. Can find guidance on adding a vanity domain suffix as a UPN within AD here.

Then you can just select multiple users and batch-update their UPN within AD, run a delta sync in Azure AD Connect then try sign into a device using Azure AD account.

Yeah, thanks! Missed that part :)

Thanks both. I've got it working now as I was missing the part about non-routable domains and the UPN.

Nigel

Great to hear!!

/ Adam

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jono Green (Microsoft)
Solution

Please add the UPN (your office 365 custom domain) in your AD and attach this to your users in AD as their UPN! This change should now sync! 

If they are hybrid joined they should be able to login with their UPN now

Also: make sure that the GPO for "Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations" is TURNED OFF!

Just to make sure: Do your licenses include Windows 10??

Adam

View solution in original post