Mar 31 2021
- last edited on
Feb 01 2023
As seen on Spiceworks we and many other organizations are seeing this issue in the last few months:
Scroll down to the last 4 weeks and more and more people are seeing this. Consistently the Web version is fine but the local version stops updating these folders. A delete of the outlook profile or OST fixes the issue for about a day and then it returns.
Tech support just runs people through the same steps over and over again, remove users from the group, re-add them. I like the person on Spiceworks had the same walkthrough. It doesn't last, this is an Outlook client issue.
MS can you please acknowledge this as spicehead-7egyy stated in that Spiceworks thread.
Apr 08 2021 08:15 AM
Apr 08 2021 08:24 AM - edited Apr 08 2021 08:25 AM
Thanks conorc26 so much for your reply. :)
I have also raised a ticket (on March 31st) for our tenant and have not heard back from MS at all. As you said we get the same steps from the old support script and have done them multiple times for multiple users and it simply doesn't last.
I am very confident this is a bug with the local client version of outlook. We have the latest version of it, we have tried
The one and only workaround that works so far has been have the users use Outlook Web.
So I agree, MS needs to escalate this.
Apr 08 2021 08:28 AM
Apr 13 2021 01:14 PM
Apr 14 2021 06:43 AM
Apr 18 2021 09:32 PM
We turned on MODERN AUTHENTICATION as described by ryanhedlof in the Spiceworks thread
We did it about 3 hours ago, and it did fix the Groups mailbox sync issue for our client.
It is still early days, but nothing else has gone bump... yet...
Apr 23 2021 06:35 AM
Jul 05 2021 03:33 AM
May 04 2022 03:43 PM
Were you able to come up with a solution, @RuthRushton? Or anyone? Several of our users are noticing their group folders in the Outlook for Windows client are not syncing with the server (up and down). All updates are installed and Modern Authentication is on. I really don't want to have to delete and recreate everyone's profiles if that isn't a viable and long-term solution. Any help and guidance would be appreciated.
May 05 2022 01:16 AM
Hi @Kennard1969 - I didn't find a solution though it does look like my folders now all update ok?!
Good luck, sorry I can't be more help.
Apr 13 2023 10:50 AM
@Kennard1969 Have you seen any resolution or solutions to this? This is hitting a lot of people in my tenant right now. Modern Auth is enabled, I also have tried all the other solutions in the thread with nothing working long term.
Apr 14 2023 11:13 AM - edited Apr 14 2023 11:15 AM
This has been occurring to me since Monday. Users who are Members of the group have no problems, I am the Owner of the group. There was a co-owner of the group that was also experiencing problems, I changed her to a regular member and everything works fine for her now. Mine however still does not update on my remote desktop (Windows Server 2016), however on my local Windows 11 machine, everything is fine. I use the remote desktop 90% of the time, so I need it to work there.
I have also rebuilt my profile this morning, and no change for me. Still doesn't work on remote desktop.
Apr 14 2023 11:25 AM
@AKSmedley, there was a bug in a recent update to the 365 apps that busted something in Outlook and screwed up the groups folders. Try to update the app — when I updated today, it downgraded the version and the groups functionality was restored.
Apr 14 2023 11:33 AM - edited Apr 14 2023 11:47 AM
I rolled back my build 2 days ago to Version 2303 (Build 16227.20258) because that is the same build as my local computer where they show up just fine. The RDS was on 20280, but it says it's still on 20258 now and when I hit update it tells me I'm already up-to-date. But group functionality has not been restored. It restored briefly when I rebuilt the profile, but when I say briefly I truly mean briefly. Maybe 5 minutes. I'm running the officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.16130.20332 now to see if it works for me.
After going back 20332, it's working again. Although I still can't mark them as read for some reason. However, the version history says there are a couple builds between then and now and mine only broke 20280 was released. I noticed it Monday morning. So it's weird I had to go that far back.