It is not possible to resize or rotate shapes and items in Office 365 Word

Copper Contributor

As of yesterday, I was no longer able to resize or rotate an inserted shape or item. Reinstalling and uninstalling the software did not help. I even tried using SetupProd_OffScrub to uninstall Office365 to see if it could remove registry settings that had been saved. I have the following specifications on my laptop: 

Home Edition of Windows 10
Update 21H1
Has been installed since 14/12/2021
Using build 19043.1348.
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0 has been installed.

For work, I use Word to create training modules. This needs to be fixed. I've contacted Microsoft. I need assistance.

1 Reply

@cratedog 

I encountered the same bug yesterday.

It occurred after December update of Windows 10 (version 21H1 or 21H2), consisting:
Service Stack 10.0.19041.1371;
Security Update KB5008212;

This bug occurs in the compatibility mode (i.e. old *.doc files and *.docx files with this mode turned on)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new document

2. Save it in the old *.doc format (i.e. Word 2003 and earlier)

3. insert a graphic shape - for example block arrow

4. Try to rotate this shape

You will get following result:

Image 3.jpg

Info for eventual MS Support, who reads this thread: I contacted the support yesterday, and your technician has "deeply removed" my Office 365 (via a remote access tool), then told me to reinstall it. (Case 1032826504). This did not resolve this problem.

According description of the Windows updates listed above, they "fixed" something in Office Graphics Objects, so now we have a problem.

Current workaround: if this is possible in your case, save your document into *.docx file and turn off the compatibility mode.