SOLVED

Is there a way to convert Office 365 group to Distribution group?

Iron Contributor

Hi,

We have an Office 365 group and I granted a user "owner" permission, but she got permission error in her Outlook like below when she tried to edit the group.

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 11.56.21 AM.png

However she is able to edit the Distribution Group in her Outllok if she is an owner.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way that I can convert Office 365 to Distribution group?

2. Is there a way to grant a user permission to manager the Office 365 group memebrs?

Thanks,

29 Replies

@smackplymouthrock What's your problem? I'll put my track record of helping people up against anyone else's. When you have the same credentials, then you can lecture me. Thanks for listening.

And what is your problem exactly?

Love to see the negative response @Tony Redmond 

Scott, I see that you've posted exactly two replies to the Microsoft Technical Community, neither of them of any value. I haven't bothered to check the number of my posts and replies but I think it's higher and more content rich. The data shows who helps people. No one is trying to be nasty or negative. If you looked back in the thread, you'll see that I outlined the steps necessary to write the PowerShell script. It's good for people to write their own code because they learn from this exercise.
Thanks for all the completely irrelevant information, which has absolutely nothing to do with your abusive behavior in this thread. Narcissists never like being confronted with their own behavior, so your response is not surprising. Good luck in life.
@smackplymouthrock , stop it please. Tony Redmond helped many people and you're not. That's enough.

@Victor Ivanidze I registered just to reply to your comment.  Well, that and I'm seeking advice on converting a Microsoft 365 Group to a simple Distribution Group.  Anyway, Mr. Redmond's attitude is in fact lofty and while valid, unnecessarily elitist.  Who cares how many posts a person has or how many people they've helped?  That kind of attitude locks any newcomers out of the ecosystem and highlights a corruptible support model.  

ANYWAY, when you downgrade a M365 Group, can you do so with the same name?  (Edit: I mean name and email for the group) My guess is no, but that's the only question I have.

From my lofty and somewhat valid position, I'd say that when you downgrade a Microsoft 365 group to become a distribution list, in fact what you're doing is creating a new distribution list object and transferring the properties of the Microsoft 365 group to the new list. You can transfer whatever properties you like, including the name, alias, display name, and primary SMTP address to the new DL, providing that you rename these properties for the Microsoft 365 group first. You can't have duplicates of names, aliases, and primary SMTP addresses, which is why the rename must happen before the properties can be assigned to the new DL.

@Nabil Fahmy 

This just gets all the members in the m365 group, creates and then adds them app to a new distribution group, it doesn't do anything destructive. I just found it easier to do this, then set the options on the distribution group afterwards.

I signed up just to post because I thought the other guy was being a bit mean.
What I've written isn't great, but it'll work.

#First open powershell as administrator (Start > run > type:ise > rclick powershell > run as administrator)

#Install Exchange Online Management Shell
Install-Module -Name ExchangeOnlineManagement

#Connect to Exchange Online, log in with your admin account
Connect-ExchangeOnline

#Source M365 Group (e.g. email address removed for privacy reasons)
$M365GroupName = 'source_m365group_name'

#Target Distribution Group (e.g. email address removed for privacy reasons)
$DistGroupName = 'testdist'

#Creates the new distribution group with the above name
New-DistributionGroup -Name $DistGroupName

#Get the Members from the M365 Group
$M365GroupMembers = Get-UnifiedGroup -Identity $M365GroupName | Get-UnifiedGroupLinks -LinkType Member | Select -expandproperty PrimarySmtpAddress
Foreach ($member in $M365GroupMembers){
"Adding $member..."
Add-DistributionGroupMember -Identity $DistGroupName -Member $member
}