SOLVED

Is it possible to move the Search Box in Outlook to another position ?

Brass Contributor

Hello,

We found that the Search Box was moved into the title bar of our desktop Outlook 365. Is it possible to change its position ?

Cheers

110 Replies
I've been around since floppies came out and the original Basic and every Windows OS there was. Remember?
10 LPRINT "Hi"
20 Goto 30
30 resume here

The way my windows are arranged, when I go to click the title bar of Outlook, search opens. Hard to break good habits. This has GOT to go! I'll try the Registry hack but I don't know......

Edward Hollingsworth
MCDBA MCSD MCAD MCP CNA
I've been around since then as well. Even going into programing... before Windows. The problem and the reason I complained about this is the search area is too close to the edge and often causes the screen to mimimize or other things. The function itself is fine.
2 years later Search is still at the top. lousy. MS has wasted so many of our time by having additional clicks. I usually click Search and via the ribbon to contruct my search parameters. now i click Search on top, the drop down covered the ribbon and i have to "escape" it (otherwise need to manually type quick params like From/To/Sent To/With Attachment. super inconvenient.

I too have this same request. 

Oddly though - I'm finding that some days the search bar is back to the top of inbox and other days it is on the top of the window on the menu bar.  I think the top of the window is terrible location. I don't like it one bit. I could list 20+ reasons. Please add my hat to the users requesting to leave at the top of the inbox. The entire ribbon is too 'big and bluky' and take up so much room as it is. 

The search bar is still not movable. It's a space saver and a good search feature, but it's extremely unintuitive and poorly designed. I am very open to new things, but for me Outlook 2010 still has the best design overall
Wow, i am totally agree, the design of SEARCH bar on top it's terrible design.
you must to allow to the users to choose the location, if someone preferers to use it on top, nice, but people like me, who using it full day, and playing with criteria and folders, must to keep it on top of the emails. Search bar on top, is closed each click, and i need to spend the time to open and change and click again and click, click, click....
PLEASE add option to choose the location of the SEARCH BAR!!!
The search bar also used to remember very recent searches making it easy to stop a task involving searching and return to it easily. Now the suggested searches are lame in comparison.
Please Microsoft, put the search bar back at top of mail list. You did this nonsense to me a couple of years ago, then we thankfully got it back in place in my company, but now it's back on title bar again. Terrible. I waste so much time as I have to search throughout my workday to find the exact message.
PLEASE!
Never publicly commented on a microsoft product and I know this reply won't do anything, but yes this was a completely unnecessary "enhancement" and is a step backwards for any working professional. Making things look better doesn't mean it's functionally better.

@Zidong_NIE 

Agreed, it's a bad location, poorly considered, and for me, a remote worker, often hidden behind my RDC.