Is Exchange Online POP3 down?

Copper Contributor

We have a system that uses POP3 to access email from an Exchange Online mailbox. Over the course of today, it has worked for periods of time, and then for several hours at a time, reported the following error while logging in:

Login failed -ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
host: outlook.office365.com
port: 995

I am aware that POP3 access using basic auth is being retired in October (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/basic-authentication-deprecation-in-exchan...), and we are preparing for that, but I'm looking for something relevant for today, June 23. We've been humming along fine for a couple years (if not more) using this connection method, and just today, for 6 hours, it went down, came back up for an hour, and now is down again.

Can anyone point me somewhere?

Chet

2 Replies

this wound up being an individual “service incident” flipped on my Microsoft for our account. We worked with a tech and got it turned back on, but seems to be a random incident that affects some of their customers for no specific reason.

Did you opt-out of shutting down POP3? Microsoft is intentionally shutting down Basic Authentication protocols such as POP3 a few hours at a time in tenants if you don't opt-out of these.