How to remove having to choose "work or school" vs "personal" on login

Steel Contributor

The majority of users on the tenant are seeing the Work/School or Personal choice when logging into O365. Is there a bulk way to remove the "personal" entry in AAD?

6 Replies
Only thing you can do in regards of Sign In experience is customize company brand in Azure AD but this is not going to have the results you need :(

Sure you can, depends a little on the specific app you are talking about but assuming most people will start at either a SharePoint homepage or mail ...

SharePoint -> https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Enable-auto-acceleration-for-your-SharePoint-Online-tenancy... or create an iDP SmartLink for your homepage (google it). We have a SmartLink for our homepage name world.tenant.name

Outlook -> Redirect a url your users will use to https://outlook.office.com/owa/?realm=tenant.name. In our case we redirect mail.tenant.name, easy for users to remember.

Once youve got people at one of these two you can get to anything else already signed in.

When exactly in the process do they see the work or personal account choice?

I used to get this all the time because I'd registered my work email address as a Microsoft Live account,  before we moved to Office 365.

O365 is smart enough to realise the same address is used in both Azure AD & the Microsoft Live system, so it always prompted me to select which identity I wanted to use.

The workaround was to add a new alias to my Work account (eg SoniaPersonal@) and log in to Microsoft Live and rename that account.

As an alias in Office 365 is not recognised as a login name by Azure AD, I can now use SoniaPersonal@ for Microsoft Live stuff, still get emails for it, and not get the School or Work prompt anymore.

Not sure that this will help for ALL the users in your tenant, but it might lead you in the right direction. Where exactly this is happening in the login process is the key.

-Sonia

That is exactly the correct issue Sonia. I am not sure how all of users have that second live id with their accounts but it seems to pervasive across the tenant.

Users see it when they initially login. It goes login screen > work/personal choice > login.

I have corrected it per your method for a couple folks, just won't work on a large scale. Thanks for the info!

Powershell would add the alias but couldnt rename the Live Account.

Was your organisation using Skype (not Skype for business)?

Either way, I think you are stuck until Microsoft do some more work on this. You could always log a support ticket and see how far you get though.

-Sonia