Claiming our original .onmicrosoft.com domain

Copper Contributor

Hi,

we were earlier part of a group company but had a separate domain name (xyz.com). The group company created xyz.onmicrosoft.com under their tenant on Office365. When we created an independent entity last year, we had to create xyz2.onmicrosoft.com to migrate mailboxes.

The group company has deleted the xyz.onmicrosoft.com from it's tenant, however we cannot add it back to our tenant on Office365 for the new independent entity. It still says that xyz.onmicrosoft.com is already in use by another organization, please try a different domain name.

How do we solve this issue? Any suggestions? Thanks.

3 Replies

@JainSachin 

You may contact Microsoft support to manage this case:

Btw, why don't you consider NOT using such fallback Domain but public DNS to manage your situation?

Add and replace your onmicrosoft.com fallback domain in Microsoft 365 - Microsoft 365 admin | Micros...

@Kidd_Ip 

Thanks for your response. There are some dependencies which we had to address. That is the reason we need to get the domain back. I have dropped a message to Microsoft support as well. Once done, I will probably work on your suggestion to use public DNS. 

@JainSachin

Running into the same boat. Did Microsoft Support ever help you?

I have a case open but hoping if you found the solution