Chat Contacts in Teams

Copper Contributor

Is there no way to populate the company Teams Chat contacts with the Exchange global address book? It seems a bit ridiculous to expect our executive users to have to actually type in a user's name before they can chat with them. Mine consider that to be too much work.  If I can export the GAB from outlook, why can I not then import it into Teams? Why does it not get mapped over automagically? 

Thanks,

4 Replies
No, chat contacts does not integrate with outlook! Only the contacts under the call button does this
Might want to have a looked at this UV:
https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/36538117-admin-controlled-cont...

Isn't exactly your ask, but this would help

The contacts experience in Teams is crap, no better way to put it. We are supposed to get some improvements early next year on that front, so stay tuned for that. 

@CodyFiehtner 

Really frustrating. Makes you wonder which place to focus on as an IT Pro. Should I put contacts in the GAL. But if Microsoft is focussing on Teams, but Teams doesn't do much with GAL. Does that mean Microsoft is abandoning the GAL for contacts.... or do we just need to wait.... and wait.... and wait, before the NEXT GREAT NEW MAGIC FEATURE!!! is build... and some Dev has some spare time to fix such a small thing. That has been in other Microsoft apps for years.... so every normal customer expects this to be there.... and not to have to ask for it in a Uservoice.

Like.... why doesn't Teams show the Company name of my contact, when no First or Last name is entered. Outlook has been doing this for like 15 years....?

Same with To Do.... It syncs it's tasks with Outlook, but doesn't support the same features as Outlook has had for years. In my case.... recurrence patterns. Great! Not!

And to end my frustration. A guest user started with a display name of just the part in front of the @. (so info@example.com shows up as just "info".). I checked/corrected this in Office 365 Admin (guest users) and even went to Azure AD and checked/corrected it there. But my Teams contact still show "Info"....

On that same note.... Why doesn't my AD contact show a Company field. I can enter Office location, Department, Job Title, etc..... but not the Company my guest user is working......