Can't open file. Sorry, something went wrong, and Microsoft Excel can't open this file.

Copper Contributor

When select my excel file, it shows this message : " Can't open file. Sorry, something went wrong, and Microsoft Excel can't open this file."

During then i was editing this particular file and the tablet shut down due to battery ran out. When i charge it, trying to open the excel, this was the message shown above. Please help. Thanks.

How to resolve this issue that excel can be open again?

The above mentioned extension is .xlsx and im using Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

4 Replies
It seems the file got corrupt I’m afraid! If you keep the file within SharePoint/OneDrive , try revert to the earlier version! Right click the file and choose version history

/ Adam
Was not saved in other than local drive, guessed that is vulnerable for file to be corrupted in this way. Sadly, and i got to rebuild the data.

Sorry to hear! It may be a reason to have your files within office 365 from now on though :)

/ Adam

@JAMES LIM 

I realize this is 4 years late but just in case someone else finds this post like I did:

I have 2 files I keep open all the time in excel on onedrive.  After a reboot, I had to open both of them again.  One opened and the other one failed to open.  "Sorry......".   When I went to get the path to the problem file I pasted it into my web browser and it asked for authentication and it worked.

I then went back and had to close Excel.  Then re-open it and, because I had authenticated earlier in the browser, the file opened properly in the Excel client.

So the reason it wouldn't open was because of authentication timing out presumably.  The error message was garbage.  HTH anyone that comes across this issue.