Jun 09 2022
- last edited on
Feb 01 2023
Our users have started receiving proxy authentication prompts when opening Excel/Word/Etc and selecting File/Open. The domains to which it wants to connect are:
I could create an authentication bypass, but I not wish to as I have no idea why Office should need to connect to either. I have deselected 'Optional connected experiences' but the prompts remain.
Does anyone know why O365 is attempting to use these domains, or is it simply additional office content being fetched? Is there a way to disable the connections within O365?
Thank you in advance.
Jun 09 2022 12:24 PM
@Surreptitious we are having the same issue, only began this week. Expect triggered by an Office update? Again would like to get confirmation on cause. Believe it is related to O365 integrations.
Jun 13 2022 02:36 AM - edited Jun 13 2022 02:37 AM
The attempts to access the two domains do not present a user agent; I was forced to bypass authentication for them on our proxy, and then implement a block for the same domains.
Still, this should not be happening.
Jun 15 2022 11:19 AM
Jun 24 2022 02:37 AM
Jul 04 2022 12:12 AM - edited Jul 04 2022 12:54 AM
i have the same problem with some of my users.
Is there any news?
edit: It also happened with one user the first time I opened Office and tried to register it.
Jul 05 2022 09:57 AM
@Surreptitious thanks for opening this discussion. We have the same issues now occuring in our environment
Jul 12 2022 06:42 AM
After weeks of digging I believe I found the source of the prompt issue:
On an affected machine open up Registry Editor and navigate to:
In our case I found these entries to be the culprit:
I've simply deleted these entries and the prompts immediately stopped on my own machine.
In my instance most of the users were affected, so I created a GPO that would modify(delete) these entries upon user login - not had a report of the prompts since. As a safety measure I've also disabled the "Optional Connected Services" for Office users in the Trust Centre\Privacy settings.
Our environment is a mix of W10/W11, Citrix (Server 2012 R2) users.
How I found the solution:
After days of digging around in the Office suite settings, our network settings and not getting anywhere with our network support guys I thought I'd check the registry to see if anything pops up relating to
storage.googleapis.com & cdn01.boxcdn.net, that's how I stumbled upon those entries.
Hope this helps as I've been lurking this thread for weeks now hoping for an answer.
Jul 20 2022 12:40 AM
Jul 20 2022 01:30 AM
Jul 20 2022 03:02 AM
Jul 20 2022 03:08 AM