SOLVED

Add a shape to Favorites in Microsoft Visio Professional 2019

Copper Contributor

One would think this would be a relatively simple procedure, or at least the answer would be available with a web search. However, multiple web searches yielded no results. All of the results told me to right-click, which does not provide any information on how to add the shape to Favorites, unless I'm missing something.

I'm using Microsoft Visio Professional 2019. I want to add a shape to Favorites, under My Shapes.

That way, I'll be able to locate shapes quickly.

I am unable to find any documentation about how to perform this procedure.

2 Replies

@Fossbender 

If you select it on the stencil, not the drawing, you should be able to select the "add to my shapes" > My Shapes > Favorites. Make sure you are clicking on the shape in the stencil. Does that help?

best response confirmed by Fossbender (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Chas Burdick Yes, this works. Now I understand how to get a shape into Favorites.

Here is why this approach counterintuitive and makes the user experience more difficult:

• There are many shapes in many submenus in Visio
  • I typically drag many shapes onto the page
  • Once a shape is on the page, there is no way to determine which stencil it came from
    • At least, I am not able to determine which stencil a shape came from
  • If you are not able to determine which stencil a shape came from, it is therefore impossible to add it to your Favorites
  • The only logical solution is to add every shape you think you might want to Favorites, and subsequently delete unneeded shapes
    • This is obviously counterintuitive and difficult

Any shape on a page should be able to be added to Favorites without having to reverse direction and attempt to remember which stencil it came from.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Fossbender (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Chas Burdick Yes, this works. Now I understand how to get a shape into Favorites.

Here is why this approach counterintuitive and makes the user experience more difficult:

• There are many shapes in many submenus in Visio
  • I typically drag many shapes onto the page
  • Once a shape is on the page, there is no way to determine which stencil it came from
    • At least, I am not able to determine which stencil a shape came from
  • If you are not able to determine which stencil a shape came from, it is therefore impossible to add it to your Favorites
  • The only logical solution is to add every shape you think you might want to Favorites, and subsequently delete unneeded shapes
    • This is obviously counterintuitive and difficult

Any shape on a page should be able to be added to Favorites without having to reverse direction and attempt to remember which stencil it came from.

View solution in original post