Copilot for Microsoft 365 Tech Accelerator
Feb 28 2024 07:00 AM - Feb 29 2024 10:30 AM (PST)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

python for excel : python packages

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to install or include any other python package in excel, like NumPy-Financial package? besides supported packages, such as pandas, seaborn, scikit-learn, matplotlib. Thanks.

2 Replies

Hi @Xunxing2019,

it is possible to install or include Python package in Excel, including NumPy-Financial.

There are two main ways to do this:

1. Use the PyXLL add-in. PyXLL is a commercial add-in for Excel that allows you to write and run Python code directly in Excel. To use PyXLL, you first need to install the Python package on your computer. Then, you can install the PyXLL add-in from the PyXLL website. Once PyXLL is installed, you can start writing and running Python code in Excel by creating a new Excel workbook and enabling the PyXLL add-in.

2. Use the xlwings library. xlwings is an open-source library that allows you to run Python code from Excel. To use xlwings, you first need to install the Python package on your computer. Then, you can install the xlwings library using pip:

pip install xlwings

Once xlwings is installed, you can start running Python code from Excel by creating a new Excel workbook and importing the xlwings library.

Here is an example of how to use NumPy-Financial in Excel using xlwings:

import xlwings as xw

# Create a new Excel workbook
wb = xw.Book()

# Import the NumPy-Financial library
import numpy_financial as npf

# Calculate the present value of an annuity
present_value = npf.pv(rate=0.05, nper=10, pmt=100)

# Write the present value to Excel
wb.sheets[0].range('A1').value = present_value

# Save the workbook
wb.save('my_excel_file.xlsx')

Here are some additional tips for using Python packages in Excel:

• Use a Python environment manager such as Anaconda or Conda to manage your Python packages. This will make it easier to install and manage the packages you need.
  • Make sure that you have the latest version of Excel installed. Excel 2016 and later versions support Python 3.
  • If you are using PyXLL, make sure that you have the latest version of the add-in installed.
  • If you are using xlwings, make sure that you have the latest version of the library installed.
  • Test the Python packages you want to use in Excel to make sure that they are compatible and perform as expected.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic

best response confirmed by Xunxing2019 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi Leon,

Thanks for your guide, I have tried xlwings library, as I thought it may also be benefit from quick runtime by the help of jupyter notebook, the sync between is really quick so far, will try more cases with more work book open. Thanks!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Xunxing2019 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi Leon,

Thanks for your guide, I have tried xlwings library, as I thought it may also be benefit from quick runtime by the help of jupyter notebook, the sync between is really quick so far, will try more cases with more work book open. Thanks!

View solution in original post