Outlook for Mac 16.65 (2022081201) is crashing at launch.

Copper Contributor

Hi,

After updating to version16.65 (2022081201) through the Beta Channel, Outlook for Mac startad crashing at launch (crash report attached). I have today received a small update to all Office applications (16.65 (2022081401)) but it did not help. The icon in the Dock jumps up and down few times and several minutes later a crash report is generated.

This is third occasion such a problem is appearing. The previous two were cured but updates.

Best regards,

Refik Telhan

17 Replies

@Refik_Telhan - Same here. The automatic update feature of Microsoft updated it to 16.65 - but I guesss it's no longer working on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7.

I checked the crash report in the console app and noticed something like, that a relevant library is missing..  from OSX 11.0.

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _$s7SwiftUI4ViewP14_viewListCount6inputsSiSgAA01_ceF6InputsV_tFZTq
Referenced from: /Applications/Microsoft Outlook.app/Contents/Frameworks/OlkUIKit.framework/Versions/A/../../../EditorKit.framework/Versions/A/EditorKit (which was built for Mac OS X 11.0)
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/SwiftUI.framework/Versions/A/SwiftUI
in /Applications/Microsoft Outlook.app/Contents/Frameworks/OlkUIKit.framework/Versions/A/../../../EditorKit.framework/Versions/A/EditorKit "

Guess the new Outlook update only works for MacOS Monterey 11.0? :unamused: ... that would suck bigtime if so - since I can't update my system now because of various work projects. So I can't read my mail anymore on the same machine... Anyone know's if there's a 'downgrade feature'? - so I can get back to a previous version of outlook for the time being? 

Same here. Automatic update to 16.65 and also on Catalina 10.15.7 running on a 2012 iMac, which cannot be upgraded to 11 (Big Sur) or 12 (Monterey). Same message:
Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _$s7SwiftUI4ViewP14_viewListCount6inputsSiSgAA01_ceF6InputsV_tFZTq
Referenced from: /Applications/Microsoft Outlook.app/Contents/Frameworks/OlkUIKit.framework/Versions/A/../../../EditorKit.framework/Versions/A/EditorKit (which was built for Mac OS X 11.0)
I hope this thread is being monitored by Microsoft. I have lost access to my mail archive of 20 years. Web access only helps with new mail and what is left in the Inbox.

Outlook is or, should I say was, running on a mid-2015 MacBook Pro which I can technically upgrade to macOS v11 or v12. But I do not wish to do so due to compatibility issues of various applications.

An automatic update process should be checking the version of the OS for compatibility.

@Refik_Telhan 

I had the same problem and I turned off auto updates, the Microsoft helpdesk helped me delete the apps and reinstall 16.63.  I got 16.65 installed with Catalina and it does not work currently.  Also check you're not using a beta channel to update as I dont know if 16.65 is an official release .  Microsoft help were very good in sorting

I deleted the current version 16.65 (changed the name).
Reinstall outlook from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-for-mac, using the16.62 version. Then turned off automatic updates. this has to be a temporal solution because it is not good idea to have a version with automatic updates turned off...

@Refik_Telhan 

I had a simple fix for me.  I am running Catalina 10.15.7.  I had auto updates on, and had selected the beta channel. All my Office apps were upgraded to 16.65 but I noticed that the other apps (excel, word, etc) were working.  So, I turned auto updates off, changed my channel selection to "current", deleted the Outlook App and did an Office Install from my account.  The only app it reinstalled was Outlook, at 16.64.  Now it runs fine. I am no expert, just had a hunch from reading the thread.  Your mileage may vary :) :) 

Hi Fred,

@Fred_Muller I do expect to be called by a Microsoft support engineer today to go through the "downdating" process from 16.65 to 16.64. I still do not know whether 16.65 will be definitely incompatible with macOS Catalina or not. This behavior appeared twice in the past and were both cured by incremental updates through the Beta Channel.

When you have to install only one of the Office applications, you do not have to use the full installer. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-for-mac

The above link will take you the web site where you can download individual installers for applications. You can also find the installers for the older versions as old as 16.27.

The latest stable release of Office for Mac is 16.64 (August 16th, 2022). This is also the date when 16.65 was released in the Beta Channel.

Best regards,

Refik

Today, another update [16.65 (22081605)] has been released through the Beta Channel. Outlook is still crashing at launch. The crash report is still pointing to "Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing".

As a temporary solution I was told to "downdate" Outlook to 16.63 as the latest stable release (not 16.64) to gain access to my mail archive.

Happened to me too. Automatic update to 16.65 on Catalina 10.15.7 running on a 2012 Macbook Pro.

Outlook crashes on startup. Switched off Automatic update and rolled back to Outlook 16.64 from Time Machine. Now it works again....

Today's update [16.65 (2022082100) did not solve the problem.

The disappointing part of this process is that Microsoft is not officially stepping in to tell whether there will be fix for v16.65 crash on macOS Catalina or not.
Hi, Following today's update to 16.65 (22082401) the problem is solved. Outlook for Mac is now properly launching. Refik Telhan
Can confirm, just installed Outlook 16.65.22082703 on Catalina 10.15.7 and it's working.
I've been using downgraded 16.62 version for a while as a workaround. No data was lost.

Good evening,

The 'problem' seems to be back with version 16.66. And I was so hopeful... .

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

I downgraded to 16.64 without any issues (apart from time spent, of course).

JS

@Refik_Telhan release 16.66 crashes too !

Following today's update to v16.66 (22090502), Outlook for Mac is launching.
Can confirm, 22090502 works fine (unlike earlier 16.66 releases).