Microsoft office 365 family version with own domain

Copper Contributor

I want to use my own domain with Microsoft 365 family

Reading this https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Get-a-personalized-email-address-in-Office-365-75416a58-b22... and having spoken to technical support this is only possible if I migrate my domain to GoDaddy.

Like me (and some of my friends) do not want to migrate our domain hosting to just one party that allows 365 family version to work with own domains. Microsoft is essentially forcing all non business users to migrate to GoDaddy (where I have learned that migration often goes wrong and is more expensive) Does anybody know if Microsoft is changing the product offer anytime soon? so that I can use Microsoft 365 Family with my own domain hosting provider?

11 Replies

HiI @Jacob_Koster,

It's true that this will be possible only if the domain is managed by GoDaddy, there're no changes to this expected or announced in the roadmap. 

What capabilities are you using with your current domain registrar? Switching the registrar and having it managed by GoDaddy may not be as challenging as you think, if done properly it should be pretty seamless and without any impact.

For FAQ, refer here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/get-a-personalized-email-address-in-microsoft-365-75416a5...

The feature I am currently using of my registar that makes me unlikely to transfer my domain to godaddy is my registrar is competent, and offers DDoS protection. I had many issues and have lost a few domains to godaddy and really dont want to transfer anything back to them ever, Is there anyway we could get an "advanced" or "Experienced" user mode that would let me just plunk in the correct DNS values and drive on.
There are simply too many negatives for me changing to godaddy. Also I think this is the world backwards. Why would you want happy customers change their domain provider. I don't think your are hold back technically to offer me a proper solution. It seems to me mostly a commercial decision. Anyway below proofs my point, I'm not moving away from a triple player that give me an outstanding service to a unknown provider with likely not 24/7 dutch support hours 1e and 2nd line

Hello,

I haven't tried it myself yet, though it appears that a domain to be used for a family Microsoft 365 account need not be registered through Godaddy.

It appears that any domain can be used for this, regardless of the registrar it is registered through, based on this documentation page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/setup/add-domain?view=o365-worldwide

That documentation actually specifies that the user used to set the custom domain must be a global administrator of a business or enterprise plan, which is of course, not what we are talking about, yet the fact that a Microsoft employee linked to it in reference to a question specifically about home family plans makes me think that it applies to such accounts as well. As well, it doesn't make sense that there would be such an odd restriction that these plans could not have custom domains.

Here is the post where the Microsoft employee references the documentation mentioned above:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_account-mso_win10-mso_365hp/setting-up-c...

cc: @boneyfrancis @kusuriya

Hi @michelamarie 

The first message on this page reads

"To Add, modify or remove domains you must be a Global Administrator of a business or enterprise plan. These changes affect the whole tenant, Customized administrators or regular users won't be able to make these changes."

In other words this does not apply to Microsoft office 365 family version - I think

Thx for thinking with me on this.Microsoft office 365 family functions very poorly with own domain because messages I send are too often regarded as spam

Thankyou @Graymatter I can confirm that the approach deduced in that forum thread does indeed work successfully.

@Ed Randall  I've read your very informative blog on this subject and noticed your boxed insert toward the top regarding MS having removed the ability to create a custom domain for 365 Family in Nov 2022.  I believe they are planning to remove the ability at the end of Nov 2023, so hopefully your instructions will still allow someone to configure a non-GoDaddy domain for another 9 months or so.

(I tried to post this comment directly on your blog, but I couldn't get it to work...)

@ehgoodrichthankyou for pointing out my error, I've updated the blog accordingly.

@boneyfrancis I have a .dk domain (Denmark).

godaddy cannot handle .dk domains.

what is the solution then?

regards

Lars

Hello @ehgoodrich, dose this still work in 2024?