SOLVED

Yammer groups integration

Steel Contributor

Our existing Yammer groups were transformed to Office 365 groups.

We now notice that some of them appear in other site collection and given limited access.

We have no idea why a yammer (office 365) group would be given limited access on a non-related site collection.

Any clues? We find it a bit disturbing.

10 Replies
This is totally unexpected even the transformation you mention. AFAIK, Yammer Groups integration means that when creating a new Group you can choose to create an Office 365 Group behind the scenes or not...but nothing should be done with your existing groups

By the way, adding @Tony Redmond

Hello Juan,

There was an annoucement that existing yammer groups would also be transformed to Office 365 groups (with a team sites etc)...

Bart

Yes, but I think this not ready yet

I sure do hope it is ready because all our existing Y groups are transformed into O365 groups.

Ok, it seems you might be right according with this reference: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Yammer-and-Office-365-Groups-d8c239dc-a48b-47ab-b85e-6b4b81... ...but there is a message in the messages center talking about a change happening in July, no now...curious to know what it's happening. This is the message I'm talking about

Updated feature: Changes to admin controls for existing Yammer groups
MC105191
Published On : June 7, 2017
Expires On : August 31, 2017
Previously, we announced changes to Yammer group types which affected admin controls for new groups. Today, we are announcing that these admin control changes will now be applied to all existing groups. This change will be effective July 6, 2017.
How does this affect me?

The following areas will be affected with this change:
1. Public Group, moderated: This group will become a public group in which any Yammer user can join. If there is a need to restrict membership based on AAD criteria, creating a dynamic group may be an option.
2. Private Groups (Listed), unmoderated: This group will become private (listed) with moderated access, where only admins now can grant approvals to new members. Previously, there was an option to allow group members to approve new membership.
3. Private Groups (Unlisted), unmoderated: This group will become private (unlisted) with moderated access, where only admins now can grant approvals to new members. Previously, there was an option to allow group members to approve new membership.
What do I need to do to prepare for this change?

There is nothing you need to do to prepare for this change. Please click Additional Information to learn more.

We found the cause of the limited acces rights to some yammer groups.

A user shared a document with yammer groups instead of regular groups because they have similar names. We use the yammer groups to communicate and discuss more broadly about projects, while O365 groups were used by the project teams.

It's a pitty, because we now end up with two groups for each project. 

I still believe it would have been much more transparant if all groups were equal and it's up to the group owner to pick the services he wants or need allowing him to choose both yammer and mail for his group.

The distinction between a (new) Yammer group and Outlook group is hard to explain. Teams currently tied to Outlook groups only makes it even more difficult.

Last week a user told me: "No we don't use Groups anymore, we are now using Teams instead..."

The current mental model is too difficult. A group should be a flat collection of services (yammer, mail, teams, planner,...) which you can enable/disable yourself (group owner).

My 2 cents.

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Yes. At Ignite we announced that the second wave of Yammer connected groups would connect existing groups to O365. In March we announced via message center that we would begin connecting existing Yammer groups to O365 in May.

@Adrienne Trudeau wrote:
Yes. At Ignite we announced that the second wave of Yammer connected groups would connect existing groups to O365. In March we announced via message center that we would begin connecting existing Yammer groups to O365 in May.

@Adrienne Trudeau: What if we do NOT want to connect those Yammer Groups to O365 Groups?

We have a gazillion Yammer Groups created by users, and we certainly do not want all of those to be spawning endless team sites which come along with the O365 Groups infra. 

This mess is becoming a challenge for us. Why can't the resources that come with an O365 Group be allowed to be enabled/disabled as per the requirement? More importantly, there should be only one pathway i.e. to start with a Group and then decide which features/tools/resources to add. As of now, all resources (Planner, Site, Yammer, Teams) create a Group on their own, and once a Group is created it spawns all the resources attached to it whether needed or not. Not even talking about the duplicate names conundrum if a Group already exists. 

At least give an option/choice of whether to provision an O365 Group behind the scene or not. This way we can have Yammer Groups standing on their own and with the ability to connect to an O365 Group only IF REQUIRED.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

View solution in original post