When will group site doc libraries be exposed?

Iron Contributor
People currently don't see the online folder tree for group sites in word desktop because they are hidden from "sites". Many new users try to go to word and then open and then they click onedrive or sites to look for a document that is in one of the groups. Most of our groups are public within the company so they are confused that they can't see the document libraries. Will these "sites" ever be exposed rather than hidden and, when they are, will people be able to automatically see the Doc libs from office 365 desktop apps?
9 Replies

One thing I thought of for the moment is adding all the groups to the websites directory in backstage. Anyone have experience with this?

I know this one as sp2010 this was possible from the SharePOint admin center promoted links in office.

It does not work in Online you really should at a uservoice for it.

For now learn them how to pin there favorite Libraries.

kr,

Paul

Do you mean that I would promote the invisible site in the Sharepoint Sites and then it would effectively be visible enough for backstage to get at it?

Seems like MSFT should simply allow us to expose the sites for the groups. Maybe a matter of time.

Any thoughts from @christophefiessinger @juancarlosgonzalez @ericzenz or @tejasmehta
I think Groups are currently not exposed to Office, but I would like to have the confirmation from the team...I agree It should not work in that way
Thank you. Yes, I found it surprising. Do you know if any work is being done on this?
Today, any group doclib that a user has opened from/saved to will appear among the locations to open from/save to the SharePoint node of the save/open panes in the office client file menus. Admittedly, the first-time browse experience should be better. As the site features of Groups become more prominent, groups' sites will be more easily discoverable in this experience. See this link for breaking details on the relationship between Groups and Sites: https://blogs.office.com/2016/08/31/new-capabilities-in-sharepoint-online-team-sites-including-integ...
Thanks for the clarification @Eric Zenz

Works fine for me, on my Mac thougt :) Still not working in Office 2016 on my Windows 7 or Windows 10 machines