SOLVED

we can not migrate security group to office 365 group

Deleted
Not applicable

We are looking to start a pilot of using Office 365 groups in our organisation.  All of our groups in outlook are 'Group Type: security groups.

The option to 'migrate to office 365 group' is grayed out.  We can create a office365 group but we'd prefer to start and continue by migrating the security groups to Office365 groups.

I contacted microsoft support but I don't know if I made our need clear and I was told something like 'this feature is not yet available on your system'.

the icon is there.  we can create office365 groups just not migrate the security groups.

I am not really a trained admin for exchange yet, I'm learning and looking and I've got stuck.

3 Replies

Hi Duncan - we had to recreate ours as Group Type = Distribution.  We tried switching the group type, but something about the manner in which the groups are created (security vs. distribution) still prevented this from working.  Since re-creating our groups and creating all new ones as Distribution, we've have no issues.  Hope that helps.

best response confirmed by Christophe Fiessinger (Microsoft)
Solution
AFAIK it's not currently possible to migrate security groups to Office 365 groups

Only Distribution Lists can be migrated to Groups, at the moment.

Also adding a security group to a Group is not supported at the moment. Please give a look to this thread: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Groups/How-to-manage-O365-Group-membership-through...