Using Office 365 retention policies with Office 365 Groups

MVP

As part of the Office 365 data governance framework, tenants can now create retention policies that apply to the mailbox and team site belonging to Office 365 Groups. The process is quite straightforward, but some gotchas exist that you need to think about!

https://www.petri.com/office-365-groups-compliance

23 Replies
Thanks Tony - so based on your points mentioned in 2020, the behaviour has changed - you no longer need a separate policy to cover the group connected SharePoint site.
I think it's fair to say that a certain amount of confusion existed in this space. It's clear now. The penny dropped for me when a bunch of SPO sites were retained long after their group disappeared. You live and learn, which is why we republish the Office 365 for IT Pros book every month.

@Tony Redmond I have one more query here. We have retention polciy for 90 days on groups based on last modified.Now many teams owners deleted teams, The siates are retained due to policy. Bu even after 6 months still the sites avaiable and not abel to delete. Showing the site  has compliance policy set to block delete. Is policy hold site forever ? I expected that site will be deleted if there is no data modified in last 90 days.

@KotiReddy I really don't know because I have zero knowledge of your sites and the policies applied to the sites. A single document with an assigned retention label can block deletion of the site (but all the other material should be gone). It can get to that level of detail.