Use a classic page as home page for Group site?

Silver Contributor

Is it possible to create and use a classic page as the home page for an O365 Group SharePoint site?

We have some workgroups that have made extensive use of excel services web parts, sewp, etc -- things that are not possible in modern pages currently

I'm thinking the "set as home page" approach in regular SharePoint, but I havent been able to do this. 

Anyone know?

4 Replies
Ey Brent, I have just created a WebParts page on a Group Site and using the "Make homepage" option in the Ribbon I have been able to set the page as Home page in the Site Group
Brent, Be aware that modern pages are the default when you add a page. It is possible to add a web part page, but to do so you will need to navigate to the Pages library and choose the New dropdown menu to select it. Also, we have seen that the Quick Launch links differ between modern and classic. Getting that consistent requires updating the links in both experiences.
Ya, hoping to avoid it where possible, but there are several teams we have that are insisting on some pretty basic web parts that just arent available yet.

We are trying to onboard a bunch of formal Groups into Groups to take advantage of the rest of the benefits. Hopefully just a temporary stop gap until modern can "catch up"

This! I don't suppose you work with me do you?!

We are transitioning to Groups from Sharepoint sites for Projects. We too would like all the great features that Groups brings, without the overhead of Sharepoint.

However with the way the front page is set up on our Sharepoint sites (a view of a sheet of an Excel doc, fundamentally) and the massive limitations and unpredictable bugs that the Excel web part for modern pages brings, it's basically resulted in us grinding to a halt.

I've tried to get help here:

LINK

But to no avail.

I don't think shoehorning an 'old' page on to a 'new' site is the answer, sounds messy to me, but would like to know if there are any timescales to fix the Excel issues and make it a usable feature.