SOLVED

Unified Groups Recovery still missing?

Iron Contributor

One of our users wanted to try out the MS Teams features. As all private Office 365 Groups also are potential MS Teams users get confused. In this case the user "removed" a potential duplicate Team from the teams app itself. The user didn't notice a Office 365 will be deleted and not only the MS Teams part. Is there still no way to recover a Unified Group? If I try to delete a group through the admin center it tells me excactly that:

"You're about to delete the group. If you continue, all of the group's conversations, files, notebooks, and events will be permanently deleted and you won't be able to get them back.

Before you continue, copy any content that you want to keep."

Is it possible to make a site collection restore request trough the admin portal and at least get all the files back from the underlying SPO site collection?

Office 365 Groups is not in any kind of preview... does it really means we don't have any kind of backup for our production content in Office 365 groups!

Related:

https://products.office.com/en-US/business/office-365-roadmap#I-31837?featureid=72284

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj819267.aspx

9 Replies
Yeap, that's the reality for now
best response confirmed by Marco Scheel (Iron Contributor)
Solution

We made a service request to restore the underlying site collection and it took one phone call because Microsoft couldn't find the site collection in the recycle bin, so we told them we then want a restore and now we have the SharePoint part back. So using groups in production just got a little bit less scary :)

Hey @Marco Scheel,

Christophe Fliessinger from Microsoft just showed in this Webinar, there will come a "Soft-Delete" for Office 365 Groups, so that you will be able to recover a group within 30 days. For now, and also for single-item restores in the future, you can only rely on third party tools, which provide this functionality already.

Happy "Teaming" ;)

I was able to use Get-SPODeletedSite to list the deleted Group site, and also able to use Restore-SPODeletedSite in order to restore the SC.  However, seems I can't get access, likely since there is no Group associated with the SC.

Any idea if I as a GA can grant myself access to be able to get to the SC?  Currently a Microsoft ticket is open to grant that access, and possibly that is the only solutions in order to get access?

thx

What did you expect from partially restore a Group? We have to wait until soft-delete is ready for Groups to be able to restore both the underlying SC and the Group itself

Actually I spoke too soon.  I checked the current groups on the site, using Get-SPOSiteGroup, and noticed the group I was specifying was wrong, once I seen the correct one, I was able to add myself to that group, using Add-SPOUser.  With that I could access the site. 

Granted, I don't have access to things like notebook, mail, calendar, etc.  But the main concern right now is the files.  So this seems to work. 

I realize the group won't be available in AAD, however, since Sharepoint still has the group from restoring the SC, it appears to be enough.  And I assume this SC will be up and running as long as I don't deleted it.

Your thoughts?

The main purpose for me would be to get to the files, and get them back and place them in a new group, then delete the remaining SC.

Tried Get-SPODeletedSite -IncludePersonalSite. It won't get any deleted O365 groups. Only results in legacy SPO SC is listed.

Assuming O365 gourps is not a part of actual SC in SP, correct?

This causes customer confusion at the moment but MS strongly pushes groups usage including Teams. Waiting for soft-delete or compliance feature makes them frustrated.

I simply use Get-SPODeletedSite. Just tried again to delete another Office 365 Group, and was able to run command "Get-SPODeletedSite" and the site I just deleted was listed. I include no additional parameters or arguments.
Possibly your scenario is different, and I am not sure what the "-IncludePersonalSite" parameter is for, is that for a personal OneDrive?
Office 365 Group SC are all hidden, but as I understand they are all their own SC, but again hidden from the SharePoint Admin portal.

Note of-course that I am only dealing with restoring the SharePoint Site Collection that was attached to the deleted Office 365 group.  I am only aware that a full Group restore would be possibly with the soft-delete feature that hopefully is coming soon.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Marco Scheel (Iron Contributor)
Solution

We made a service request to restore the underlying site collection and it took one phone call because Microsoft couldn't find the site collection in the recycle bin, so we told them we then want a restore and now we have the SharePoint part back. So using groups in production just got a little bit less scary :)

View solution in original post