Unable to Change the look and feel for Office 365 groups site, stuck on the status "working on it"

Deleted
Not applicable

Faced the issue on two different tenants, unable to change the look and feel of office 365 groups sites, by navigating to Site Contents>Site settings >Change the look,no matter what look i select i just get a working on it message, tried different browsers/machines, works on one tenant but not on two others not sure what to look for, Please Advise.

21 Replies

Changing theme in SPO site is in general is a heavy operation, but it should end with the expected result no matter if you are talking about a Group site or any other SPO Site...but I have just verified that when applying a theme in a Group site I'm also stuck on the "Working on it message" but I finally got the theme applied. I tried to change the them from a Group site where I first created the Group from OWA and also from a modern team site I created from the SPO landing page....and in this case I got an error after trying to apply the theme...so it seems something is wrong here @Christophe Fiessinger

Thank you for your response Juan, Could this possibly be a bug or is it something which hasn't been launched completely for office 365 groups?
Couldn't find much on the same in the roadmap, it does mention that office 365 groups include a full powered SharePoint team site, so shall we expect all the features of a general team site to work in Office 365 group sites as well ? I am able to change the theme fine for a general SharePoint Team site. Any info would be greatly appreciated !

Hi,

It seems we're having a similar issue.

Did you get any update on this, or found some workaround you can share?

Thanks!

JC

I too have the same issue for "modern" team sites. It just sits there spinning on "Working on it..." for a very long time. What's strange is I was able to "change the look" about a month or two back. It was slow and it didn't feel quite right, taking perhaps 1-2 mins to "try" before allowing me to apply, but it worked.

My reading suggests the PnP Provisioning Engine may be needed to change themes for modern team sites:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/pnp_articles/modern-experience-customizations-customize-sites

The provided powershell script didn't work for me either, I get the error "the operation has timed out". This too is a known issue, with one of the contributors of the former pnp article above commenting:

"This is unfortunately known issue around theme apply process with modern sites"

Reference: https://github.com/SharePoint/PnP/issues/1622

It appears to be an issue with multiple language selections for the tenant, i had to tweak with language/ regional settings for the tenant/ site ; appears to work for some sites; though still not stable.

I'm having the same issue.

For subsites under my Group site the Change the look --> Try it out is stuck on "Working on it".

I've tried the alternate language hack (nothing was checked here anyhow).

Nothing seems to work.

I can change the look on my Group Site, but not under newly created subsites. Any ideas?

What would my next step be?

Hello,

Did you find a solution to this problem ? I have exactly the same issue : I can change the look on my Group Site, but not under any subsites...

I just have "Français" as default language (note that in the Group Site, it's "French", not "Français") and nothing is check in "other languages".

Thank you

No, I'm afraid I have not been able to resolve this yet.

I too am having this issue. It will be working on it all day long. I am surprised nobody has found a resolution to this yet.

We are also having this issue.  Tried many different browsers and systems...anyone found a solution?

I am in the same boat with Sharepoint in O365.

Created a site "Extranets" to hold all the extranets the client wished to create.

Created 5 subsites to be those extranets.

Can change the look and feel, style, template or however you want to refer to it at the "Extranets" level - however when I try and change it on any of the subsites Sharepoint hangs on :

WorkingOnItSharepoint.PNG

Argh - can anyone please help? We will be creating up to 20 of these and I need inheritance of permissions etc that I can only get setting them up this way.

Do Microsoft not come into this thread themselves?

Thanks in advance!

Same issue.  Specifically, added a subsite Team Blog and unable to update the look either standard default themes or custom.

I have solved the issue by removing additional languages on the parent site and on the sub site.

Thank you for the quick response.  I did remove all of the additional languages on the parent site and on the subsite; however, it seems the issue persists.  I will give it some time and try again. 

Hi

I think once you remove the additional languages and it should be straight forward to change look and feel.

I have removed the alternate language from sub site first and then from parent site and then changed the look and feel of subsite. worked.

To remove alternate languages.

Site Content -> Site Settings,
Under 'Site Administration' section, "Language settings". Unselect all Alternate languages.

Thanks

Same problem - any solutions other than the language suggestion? I don't have any alternative languages selected, and never did.

Site settings>change the look doesn't work, the page never opens

I definitely used this function before Xmas with no problem but it won't work now??

Suggestions welcome

Same here - last year I was able to change the look with no problem.  But now I created a new subsite and it hangs on "Working On It" when I click "Try It Out".  Using the same color theme as in the other sites I'd created.

I did not have any additional languages checked in either the new subsite or the parent site.

I tried logging out and deleting all my temp internet files, cookies, etc., but that did not fix it.

I am working remotely, so I have tried it both connected to the VPN and not connected.

I'm using Windows 10, Internet Explorer 11.

Super disappointing to see posts on this from over six months ago.  How do issues like this get resolved?