SOLVED

Share documents outside the group

Copper Contributor
I have recently set up a private group for my team but wish to share some individual documents to those outside of the group. Is there a way of sharing a link to those people without making the group public?
7 Replies
Yes, you can share individual group document to anyone outside the Group without adding them to group or making them public. You can do that by clicking on "Share" action on the document in the document library and share with individual or another Group. Hope this helps.
best response confirmed by Richard Cutbush (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Sharing a document in Groups is relying on the sharing capability you have for regular SharePoint sites and OneDrive for Business, so you can share documents from the site group in the same way you do from your ODFB or a SharePoint site you belong to

Thank you very much for that.  I am about to start moving a large number of documents into my group and wanted to be 100% this woudln't cuase a probelm when I need to share the odd document.  Thank you for your response.

Thank you very much for that. I am about to start moving a large number of documents into my group and wanted to be 100% this woudln't cause a problem when I need to share the odd document. Thank you for your response.

But when it comes to external users, be aware that:

"By default, all SharePoint site collections that are part of an Office 365 Group have the sharing setting set to Allow sharing only with the external users that already exist in your organization’s directory. To change this setting, you can use the Set-SPOSite Windows PowerShell cmdlet." From https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-external-sharing-for-your-SharePoint-Online-environm...:

You can change the default using PowerShell.

Sharing settings are sprawled over too many places, very difficult to figure out exactly which button, check box or switch needs to be activated or disabled to change specific behaviors.  

I am struggling to figure out how to control internal sharing, all the articles I have found only specify external sharing.  How does one allow members of a site collection to share links ONLY to internal authenticated people and NOT anonymous YET allow the tenant to still use anonymous INTERNAL sharing?  (words in caps intentional).

@Cyrus Christian

There are two levels at which you can configure sharing in SPO.

1. A global level (i.e. for the entire tenant).
  2. A local level (i.e. for each site collection)

If I understand well what you are asking, you could set the global level to allow anonymous sharing and the local level to disallow sharing with external users for selected site collections.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Richard Cutbush (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Sharing a document in Groups is relying on the sharing capability you have for regular SharePoint sites and OneDrive for Business, so you can share documents from the site group in the same way you do from your ODFB or a SharePoint site you belong to

View solution in original post