Set a security group as a member of unified group

Brass Contributor

Is there a way to set a security group (or a mail enabled one) to be a member of unified group. This can be done manually of course, but with the ”Add-UnifiedGroupLinks” command the links-parameter cannot be a security group. Can this be done with Graph API maybe? There is some information found that the Graph API could also be used to create unified groups...

Here´s a little background to our problem: We wanted to convert a AD security groups to a unified groups in O365. But we noticed that this way we would loose ”dynamic” membership of AD security groups. So we decided to create new Office 365 unified groups with AD security groups as a member, but we could not find out a way to do it :\

Thanks in advance

Yours: Jarkko Tornberg

Ps. I posted this one to the Yammer as well... I forgot about this new platform :D

3 Replies

When you add a security group (or any other type) as member of "modern group", its membership is expanded and the individual members are added as links, not the actual group. In effect, you can do it via this PowerShell example:

Get-DistributionGroupMember blabla | % { Add-UnifiedGroupLinks -Identity blahblah -LinkType members -Links $_.Name }

I don't believe you can have add a security group as a member.  If your goal is dynamic membership, that is a new released capability of Groups.

From http://fasttrack.microsoft.com/roadmap :

"Administrators can now create groups with rule-based memberships using the Azure Management Portal. Group membership is updated within a minute as users’ properties change. This allows easy management or larger groups, or the creation of groups that always reflect the organization’s structure."

The linked details:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/active-directory-accessmanagement-manage-gr...

I know your scenario isn't copying the SG's members but wanted to mention that OWA now supports adding all the members of a DL or a group to another group.  It adds a snapshot of the members, not a dynamic nesting.  I believe an SG would have to be mail-enabled for this to work.

Thanks for the reply! Azure AD dynamic membership is a great feature but it is not a perfect solution in our case. We use Microsoft Classroom and if a Teacher wants to add students manually to a Class (which uses O365 groups) he/she can´t do that cause dynamic membership does not allow secondary means of controlling group membership.

We are now looking at the OWA-option!