Service/workload provisoning upon O365 group creation

Steel Contributor

Can someone valid the following:

If you create an O365 group from

1. Outlook (Online), SharePoint/OneDrive or Planner or O365 admin portal it contains

• an Outlook inbox and Calendar
  • a modern SharePoint team site (with OneNote, ...)
  • a planner workspace

2. Yammer, it contains

• a Yammer group (no inbox, no calendar)
  • a planner workspace

3. Teams, it contains

• a Team workspace
  • an Outlook inbox and Calendar
  • a planner workspace

4. Azure portal 

• just the group (it has an option "office", but based on my preliminary tests didn't result in an Office 365 workload/service)

5. PowerBi (Pro)

• ?

Is it the umtimate goal that new services/workloads can be added manually to an existing group? (eg add Teams to an existing O365 group, or add the inbox/calendar/SharePoint to an "empty" O365 group created in Azure?)

I skipped the PLC groups/classroom for now :)

Bart

3 Replies
Some additional comments from my side:
For 2., you can also create an Office 365 Group from Yammer.
For 4., you can create a full Office 365 from Azure AD as you can do from the Office 365 Admin Portal
For 5. you can create also a full Office 365 Group from Power BI

And there are other Apps that create Groups too: StuffHub, OCM, ...

Hi Juan,

The question is, what is a full Office 365 group? 

The common denominator so far only seems to be the SharePoint Team site and Planner. All the other components depend on how you created your group.

As far as I know it is not possible to create a new Yammer group or Outlook group and get Teams with it. The only way to get Teams is to create the group from within Teams, the only way to get a Yammer group is to create the group from within Yammer.

At the end I got a group out of Azure as well, apparently it takes considerably more time creating the group from withing Azure.

Before Teams, the mental model of groups was ok. You can choose between an Office 365 group with Outlook or with Yammer. They were identical apart from the messaging. With Teams, it gets more complicated to explain the groups model, unless it will become possible to add a workloads like Teams to any existing Office 365 group.

Bart

I figured out that you can add Teams to an existing Outlook group, I wasn't aware of that.

Since I'm on EDU, I'm a few months behind on Teams ;)