SOLVED

owner is unable to invite guests

Copper Contributor

We have the problem here that a (normal) user is unable to invite guests to his group and can only invite people from our AD. If I sign into this group (me being a tenant admin) and make myself an owner of the group, all invites work as expected, meaning guest access seems to be turned on in general, but not for people not being a tenant admin. Also the error is a bit misleading implieng that it should work but not right now. But If I do this as admin a second later it works, so I doubt it is really a temporary problem. Sorry, but I only have a german error message.

Are there any powershell magic I have todo maybe in order to allow normal users to make guest invites, even though they are owner?

9 Replies
If external guests to groups is enabled, you are done so it seems there is something wrong in your tenant with that particular user
That's what I thought as well and as I am able to put guests into groups I would assume that it is enabled (and yes, its already working with people I invited). Any idea where I could check, or should I just open a support case with Microsoft?
best response confirmed by Markus Turba (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Markus, It looks like invitiations are disabled for your tenant. To check invitations; go to O365 Admin Portal -> Settings(in left nav) -> Security & Privacy; Under sharing you would see "Allow adding of new guests to my organization" make sure that it is tuned ON.

Link to documentation: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Guest-access-to-Office-365-groups-Admin-Help-7c713d74-a144-...

Let me know if this doesnt work.

Thanks,

Sahil

well, what can I say besides "RTFM helps", so thank you! :)

Tells me again also that testing with admin privs isnt the brightest idea, but then as O365 always needs a license there isnt really room for test accounts.

Anyway thanks!

hopefully I am posting this not premature as the admin center here already tries for over 5min to change that setting, still giving me the rotating dots...

Just a headsup for people coming by this thread later. Microsoft moved the settings over the weekend it seems. You can now find it under Settings -> Services & add-ins -> Office 365 Groups and it is called "Let group owners add people outside the organization to groups".

Markus, This setting has not been moved. This is different setting. Essentially there are 3 settings to control guest access; the setting you are talking about intends different purpose

In a nutshell.

1. Settings->Security & privacy->Allow : Blocks adding of "new" guests, that means guests which are already in the tenants can be added.

2. Settings -> Services & add-ins -> Office 365 Groups->"Let group owners add": Blocks adding of "any" guests.

3. Settings -> Services & add-ins -> Office 365 Groups->"Let people outside access": Disables guest access completely which means guests members of the groups will be cut-off from resource access and wont receive Group posts.

well, if it has not moved, than one of your admins is pulling my leg and/or trying some new illusion/stealth technology on my tenant, because it has vanished, as you can see in this screenshot.

This is strange behaviour; there should be a third setting visible here & there wasnt any change in this feature as well. 

To help in troubleshoot this issue, can you PM me the tenant name & admin user name?

the setting is now back and I was able to click it this time to success. At least it shows now "on". Still have to test it with a user who is no admin, but I am confident :)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Markus Turba (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Markus, It looks like invitiations are disabled for your tenant. To check invitations; go to O365 Admin Portal -> Settings(in left nav) -> Security & Privacy; Under sharing you would see "Allow adding of new guests to my organization" make sure that it is tuned ON.

Link to documentation: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Guest-access-to-Office-365-groups-Admin-Help-7c713d74-a144-...

Let me know if this doesnt work.

Thanks,

Sahil

View solution in original post