One-sheet on Office 365

Copper Contributor

Hi, we're in the process of doing some beta work with Teams, and getting some traction with Planner, as well. However, in enabling these applications for our users, they're gaining additional features in Office 365. We've not done a general roll-out of O365 Groups, so we thought it might be useful to provide them with a Quick Start one-sheeter for O365 Groups (the elements, like Calendar, file storage; also quick benefits and pro-tips). We used to do something similar with Yammer ("Ready, Set, Go"). Does anyone have anything they could share, either ready to go, or that we might adapt for our environment? Thanks in advance for any help!

8 Replies

Hi Steven. Producing a one-sheet quick reference for end users is becoming more and more difficult with Office 365. When it comes to Office 365 Groups, it represents a collection of communication, collaboration and coordination tools. Thinking of communication tools alone, you'd need something that represents Outlook Groups, Yammer and Microsoft Teams. For Files, you'd need something that covers basic file activities across SharePoint and OneDrive. Covering Shared Calendar, OneNote, Planner, PowerBI... and each of these can change UI. It's difficult to keep up with change. 

I put this question to others following the Office 365 Groups Community - What would you put in a basic guide for Groups? Let's start with Outlook Groups as the choice of communication.

Creating and Joining a Group

Subscribing to Group activity - Inbox and Events

Outlook

• Creating a new message from Outlook Web Access - from within the Group and from your own Inbox.
  • Creating new message from Outlook 2016 - from within the Group and from your own Inbox.
  • @Mentions. 
  • Attaching a document
    • From Computer
    • From OneDrive
    • From the Group Files
  • Using full formatting tools
  • Replying to a message and use of 'Like'

Files

• Creating a new document
    • From the Outlook Groups Files view
    • From the Group Site document library
  • Uploading a file
  • Emailing a file 
  • Using the Outlook Groups Files view
  • Accessing the Group Site and document library

Calendar

• Creating a new event
    • From OWA
    • From Outlook 2016
  • Responding to an event

OneNote

• Accessing the Group notebook
  • Uses of the notebook

It is quite a list of topics already. 

What would you add or change? 

Thats' already looking pretty hard to do as a one pager. Maybe a one page technical document on A3 paper ;)

I'm not looking for full functionality (that's counter to the idea of a one-sheeter). What I'm trying to do, for people who suddenly find themselves with an O365 Group because they're using Teams or Planner, for instance, is explain what a Group is, what elements are included (like files, calendar, distro, etc.), and the value prop of suddenly having this team collaborative space. 

I'm just hoping to not have to recreate if someone else has already created something like this. I feel pretty confident the information I'm looking for would fit onto a "Ready Set Go" document.

First pass...

Office 365 Groups provide an easy way for any user to create an ad-hoc group container where they can manage colleagues who have access to the Group's materials. Groups are Public (anyone can join) or Private (owner controls).

Each Office 365 Group contains:
Email messaging with “next-gen distribution list”
SharePoint Site for Files
OneNote Notebook
Outlook calendar
Planner site

I'm about to try and put together something similar and completely agree with the need. Here are my quick thoughts.

The key points:
1) What is an O365 Group and what do I get out of it? (similar to what Kevin just posted)
2) How do I get to Groups? (from OWA, from list of SharePoint sites, from Outlook, from mobile app, etc) -- this has always been a weak spot for Groups IMO and the argument that "Groups are not a destination", because they totally should be
3) Where did my old stuff go? (we are focusing on existing workgroups / organization groups that already have SP sites and Yammer groups, and will be "migrating" them into the Group and shutting down use of the old resources)
4) How do I request/create a new Group? (we have self-service group creation turned off, and special instructions for requesting a group)
5) Link to a "Groups" help site we put together in SharePoint for more information and help videos specifically about the services (how do I use the calendar, how do I use onenote, how do I.....)

Other options
6) How does Groups relate to Teams/Planner, if using those services? (we are going to use Groups as the key point, so trying to teach users you dont get Teams/Planner without a Group, they are byproducts of the Group itself, not standalone services).

I'll take a pass at this in new year, happy to share my results here, Brent.  (And thanks Kevin for your contribution, as well!)

heres an example i just saw tweeted out for sway, made me think of this, this is similar to what i want to do for Groups

https://inquisitiveeducator.wordpress.com/2016/12/31/microsoft-sway-a-beginners-guide-its-as-easy-as...

Yes, exactly like I was thinking.