SOLVED

Offline Global Address Book Shows Hidden Office 365 Groups

Iron Contributor

How do I hide Office 365 Group email addresses from the OFFLINE Global Address List? They are hidden from the normal Global Address list via PowerShell commands. However, I cannot get them to be hidden in the OFFLINE Global Address List

Here are the steps I've taken so far:

Note: We are federated and synch from AD on prem to Azure AD

• Used the HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled cmdlet
    • This was successful in removing the group from the "groups" section in my Outlook left hand navigation
    • I also believe it serves a dual purpose of also hiding the email address from the standard Global Address List. I've seen folks say that HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled will only remove the group from Outlooks navigation section; however, the Microsoft documentation says that HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled will automatically evoke the HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $True function.
    • Just to be on the save side, I ran the HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $True separately and I received a notice that the cmdlet ran successfully but that no changes were made...which verifies what I said above
  • Additionally, I updated the Offline Global address book via the "send/receive" tab in the Outlook client
  • After doing all of this, I am still able to search for and find the hidden group in the OFFLINE Global Address List.
  • The normal Global Address List is working as expected. However, this does me no good if the Offline Global Address List is still showing an Office 365 group email address that I want to be hidden.
  • Also, it has NOT been 24 hours since I hid the email. Maybe I just need to be patient enough for the Offline Global Address List to update on its own.
2 Replies
best response confirmed by Michael Malloy (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Yes, you need to give it some time. The OAB is regenerated once every 24h, that's server-side. And you can expect some additional delay client-side. 

@Vasil Michev 

Yup...waiting did the trick!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Michael Malloy (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Yes, you need to give it some time. The OAB is regenerated once every 24h, that's server-side. And you can expect some additional delay client-side. 

View solution in original post