SOLVED

Office Group membership limitation

Copper Contributor

Hi Guys,

Below blog mentions a limitation to the amount of groups a user can be a member of:

There is no limit to the number of Groups per Office 365 tenant
Each user can create up to 250 Office 365 Groups
Each user can be a member of up to 1,024 Groups
Groups with over 1,000 users are supported
Group conversations can be slow in groups of this size or greater
Public Groups can be a risk, since anyone in your organization can join them
A special Group mailbox is created in Office 365 to store all the Groups content.
The maximum size of this mailbox is 50 GB

https://www.exchangesavvy.com/office-365-groups-public-folder-migration/

Is this limitation still applicable or is this post outdated or incorrect?

Tx in advance.

Kr,

Barend

7 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

My two cents here:

There is no limit to the number of Groups per Office 365 tenant: Incorrect, the limit is 500.000 Groups per tenant, even it could be possible to create more
Each user can create up to 250 Office 365 Groups: correct
Each user can be a member of up to 1,024 Groups: correct
Groups with over 1,000 users are supported: correct. Indeed current limit (not documented) is 2500 users / group
Group conversations can be slow in groups of this size or greater: It depends on what you understand by group conversation. Remember conversations in Groups happens in the Group Inbox that is just a EXO inbox
Public Groups can be a risk, since anyone in your organization can join them: if the group is created as public, I think there is not a risk at all
A special Group mailbox is created in Office 365 to store all the Groups content: Partially correct...when a Group is created, an  EXO mailbox is created for storing Group conversations and a SPO site is created to store Group documents
The maximum size of this mailbox is 50 GB: Correct, the size for each group mailbox is 50 GB

More information here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/learn-about-office-365-groups-b565caa1-5c40-40ef-9915-60fdb...

Hi Juan,

Many tx for your feedback.

I was looking for the official MS page but never found it, tx for the link.

Kind regards,

Barend

Note the limitation for Teams, some numbers are similar: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/limits-specifications-teams 

@Juan Carlos González Martín Thanks for the quick note limitations.

Is there any change in the upper limit to users/group.

We would like to use the Office 365 group for our migrated sites from SP 2007. But each site has 10,000+ users. Not sure if we can proceed and would like to know the limit before any action.

I appreciate any update on this.

Thanks

Venkat Konjeti 

Hi all - we use Office 365 Groups to manage our projects, and we would prefer that a Service Account is the only creator/Owner of the group (all provisioned via PowerShell scripts for a consistent UX/UI across all O365 groups).

That said, there is a limit of 1024 members/owners per group - which would generally be fine... but if our Service Account is the only Owner (...as the rights are too high for normal users to have Owner rights).

I hear a rumour that MS are upgrading the limit to 2,000 Groups per member/owner - but anyone aware if it'll go higher? like 10,00 or more? Aware that such high numbers for a member/owner could produce UI or other scalability issues, but a vast increase in numbers would be good.

Anyone have any ideas on if this is being developed?

@Joe McGiven CorbanI'd like to know if the 1024 group limit that a single user can be a member of will increase as well. 

Do you know if the 250 group limit per user can be updated to support more or is that a hard limit that is imposed?  @Juan Carlos González Martín 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

My two cents here:

There is no limit to the number of Groups per Office 365 tenant: Incorrect, the limit is 500.000 Groups per tenant, even it could be possible to create more
Each user can create up to 250 Office 365 Groups: correct
Each user can be a member of up to 1,024 Groups: correct
Groups with over 1,000 users are supported: correct. Indeed current limit (not documented) is 2500 users / group
Group conversations can be slow in groups of this size or greater: It depends on what you understand by group conversation. Remember conversations in Groups happens in the Group Inbox that is just a EXO inbox
Public Groups can be a risk, since anyone in your organization can join them: if the group is created as public, I think there is not a risk at all
A special Group mailbox is created in Office 365 to store all the Groups content: Partially correct...when a Group is created, an  EXO mailbox is created for storing Group conversations and a SPO site is created to store Group documents
The maximum size of this mailbox is 50 GB: Correct, the size for each group mailbox is 50 GB

More information here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/learn-about-office-365-groups-b565caa1-5c40-40ef-9915-60fdb...

View solution in original post