Office 365 groups expiry now available for AAD Premium customers.

Microsoft

Hi All,

Letting you know that we are beginning to roll-out Office 365 group expiry in public preview for Azure Active Directory Premium subscribers. We'll be notifying all Office 365 customers with AAD Premium about this new feature via the message center. More details can be found on the Tech Community blog and Enterprise Mobility and Security blog.

10 Replies
Absolutely great feature!!!

Only for AAD premium? 

Sounds like a great feature, is there also a option to extend the expiry date?

@Deleted wrote:

Only for AAD premium? 

Yes, like Dynamic Groups, this feature is only available to those customers with Azure AD Premium, Enterprise Mobility + Security or Microsoft 365 Enterprise.

From the documentation:

Setting expiration for O365 groups requires that an Azure AD Premium license is assigned to

• The administrator who configures the expiration settings for the tenant
  • All members of the groups selected for this setting
This is really sad.

we have been waiting for this feature to roll out desperately, and now looks like non-premium customers will have to buy licenses to use the same?

did they ever mention in roadmap saying this is only for Premium customers?

It is a shame in a way, as it is such a useful feature, it's something we talked about in this thread Office 365 Fragmentation? But I do understand the commercial reasons for charging extra for this, Azure AD Premium does have a lot of other benefits besides.  It's up to each customer I suppose to work out if it's worth paying extra for.

No there is no mention of the licence requirement in the roadmap, perhaps that would be worth doing in the future, so customers can evaluate requirements in advance. 

Office 365 Groups expiring groups.png

Thanks, @Cian Allner as always with your great post and quick response.

I have been using this feature as a beta tester and like it quite a lot. Here's what I have to say about it https://www.petri.com/group-expiration-policy-preview

It was kind of curious to have this announcement on the Azure AD blog rather than as an Office blog. You can justify it in one way because it's obviously a feature that brings extra revenue into the Azure AD product line by selling premium licenses, but on the other hand, it's a feature that touches what has become a fundamental part of Office 365... 

Testing it out, I'm able to succesfully 'Renew Group' but if I click on 'Go to group', I get the following message.  What is the 'Go to group' tied to that it would not be enabled/available?  

Snap20.jpg