New Feature: All newly created Yammer groups will connect to Office 365 Groups

Deleted
Not applicable

I saw below message in message center.

New Feature: All newly created Yammer groups will connect to Office 365 Groups
MC87864
Published On : December 6, 2016
Expires On : April 30, 2017
Beginning January 2017, when a new Yammer group is created, a corresponding Office 365 group will be created in Azure Active Directory, and Office 365 Group resources will be provisioned. This rollout is expected to be completed by the end of March 2017.

We have already disbaled O365 Groups in our environment. If some one creates group in Yammer is it still going to create office365 group even though it is disabled?
11 Replies

IMHO, if Groups creation is disabled then Yammer is not going to be able to create an Office 365 Group behind the scenes...adding @Christophe Fiessinger to comment on this

I'd suggest that you then should enable Groups but set it up so that end users cannot create any groups (with Powershell cmdlets (see https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-nl/azure/active-directory/active-directory-accessmanagement-groups-set...). This will disable the Create Group feature and no groups will be created by end users.

I believe they already have this setup :-)....the question is what is going to happen when they create a new Group in Yammer when the integration between Yammer Groups and Office 365 Groups is ready

That we can only guess... I suppose it should work but you never know. 

Hi @Juan Carlos González Martín.

The message in message center says that "when a new Yammer group is created, a corresponding Office 365 group will be created in Azure Active Directory".

Now, if Group creation is disabled with an AAD policy, then a Yammer group creation should not trigger an AAD Group creation. Am I correct, at least in principle?

see the very last Q&A on this page... says it wont create the 365 group if its disabled at the tenant level

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Yammer-groups-are-now-Office-365-Groups-d8c239dc-a48b-47ab-...

I think MS did this backwards... it shouldn't just create a group, it should prompt people to connect it to an existing group if they want. or when they create the group prompt if they want a yammer feed... and allow admins to disable this at the yammer level, not force them to do it at a tenant level.

Now what i see happening is a user creates a group... and later decides to use yammer and that creates a group, now i have 2 groups that have X number of places to store stuff... this is going to be impossible to manage from a admin perspective.
See the last question of this FAQ: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Yammer-groups-are-now-Office-365-Groups-d8c239dc-a48b-47ab-...
Users can still create regular Yammer groups.
Out of curiosity why did you disable Group creation?

@Christophe Fiessinger Thanks for the article.

We have disabled O365 group to cleanup some of mess which was created by users.

We are again going to reinstatate o365 group creation with improved process and policies such as classification/usage URL/Storage quota etc on demand basis.

@Christophe FiessingerWe haven't disabled groups creation but have controls around it. End users can't create Groups, only admins can.

But end users can create Yammer groups. What happens to these Yammer groups created by end users? Do they get full capabilities of O365 groups?

If end users do not have permissions to create Office 365 groups, they will still be able to create groups in Yammer, but they will be "classic" Yammer groups like we have today. The groups will not be connected to Office 365. 

This helps our use case! Thanks.