[New!] Drag and drop conversations into groups

Microsoft

Good news! We're currently rolling out drag and drop for messages and conversations into groups in Outlook on the web first for First Release customers, then Standard release customers.

It's much easier to explain with a GIF:

dnd2.gif

Support for Outlook 2016 for Windows is coming soon--stay tuned.

You can find the documentation here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/24e809db-70e1-45b7-8d54-efac7951dc95

123 Replies

@Sri Ramya Mallipudi I know that semi-annual releases occur in Jan and Jul but how do you work out when features released in the monthly (current) channel will make it into the semi-annual release? Or another way of asking this, when will drag to folder be released to the semi-annual channel? It feels like we've been waiting for this feature for years!

@Sri Ramya Mallipudi or anyone who might have an idea on this one:

So I think i discovered an anomaly.  When I copy or move a message that was cached in the past from a Outlook 365 inbox/folder into a Group mail folder in the Outlook app, the message shows up for a brief moment, then disappears from the Outlook App...however it remains completely accessible and viewable on OWA.  Newer emails do not exhibit this issue.  I have reproduced this problem on both my client's o365 and my own as well, which are independent of each other.  Thinking this was a caching issue, I turned cached exchange mode up to "All" so that no mail would be cached and I saw those old emails reappear in the mail folders in Office again, but they did not for the group folders, nor is there a way for me to force a synch for the groups, so those messages are only accessible in OWA which doesn't work because my client uses the Outlook App 100% of the time. 

Anyone have any thoughts on how I can make this work in the Outlook app?  Thanks.

@jfarena 

I got this to work in my environment.  The goal in my scenario was to migrate content from a 2010 public folder (on-prem) to an M365 group conversation.  To say the least, I had to go around my elbow to get to (well, you get the rest).

I exported the PF content to a PST (I had issues with the mail-enabled PF and had to completely destroy it so I could reuse the address).  When trying to move from PST to the group, that's where I got a dialogue that it was either over 50MB (it was content without an attachment) or it didn't come from my work or school mailbox.  It was in a PST opened while in Outlook with my mailbox open, but it still knew the origin.

So, I created a folder in my mailbox and moved the PF content into that folder. Then I was able to D-n-D the content into the M365 group conversation.  Messages retained all attachments and other headers/metadata.  I was also able to D-n-D a large quantity of messages at a time - I think there were comments about a limit or 100 messages, but I was able to grab over that and move at one time.