[New!] Drag and drop conversations into groups

Microsoft

Good news! We're currently rolling out drag and drop for messages and conversations into groups in Outlook on the web first for First Release customers, then Standard release customers.

It's much easier to explain with a GIF:

dnd2.gif

Support for Outlook 2016 for Windows is coming soon--stay tuned.

You can find the documentation here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/24e809db-70e1-45b7-8d54-efac7951dc95

123 Replies

I finally have this working on Version 2003. It only took nearly 3 years ;)

@Scott_Whitmore I tried again but still not working over here. :sad:

@HE-MJ  ....same - no luck for me either :facepalm: - and even after the recent patched version from 2 days ago too. This is getting ridiculous. I just wish MS would sort this out...

2003.PNG

Hmmm so the strange thing is I got this working on my Surface Pro 4, but it's still not working on my Desktop PC. Same version numbers.

Too busy working on adding custom backgrounds and multiple video windows in Teams to compete with Zoom. A feature that will fade away once people go back to normal video conferencing where 99% of of the time is spent sharing screen/document :)

@Scott Whitmore 

Hmm, something is a bit weird. I've got a test VM that's built in the same way as my main client. They are on semi-annual release so won't get this feature for a while.

But I've just switched the test VM to monthly and let it update so I get version 2003 (build 12624.20466) - so slightly newer than your version.

With the admin account, I'm unable to drag and drop. So I logged in as my normal user account. First problem was that the "Groups" functionality was totally missed and I had to create a new Outlook profile. But in this new profile, I am able to drag and drop into a group. I get this warning:

xyqMvhb[1].png

Once you have moved an item, it appears in the recent list in the Move drop down:

HaTGmhX[1].png

However, the implementation is not completed as if you select "Other folder" above to browse to find a new folder to file in, you are unable to browse groups. Just the folders in your mailbox as normal.

So getting there!

>First problem was that the "Groups" functionality was totally missed and I had to create a new Outlook profile.

Since discovered this was a separate problem whereby cached mode was disabled on the existing profile. Turning cache mode on fixed this side-problem.

Our work is on the semi-annual release. Is there any indication when that will get it? We desperately need this feature.

@Scott_Whitmore We are in the same situation. Our users have 1908 from August 2019 and since DragDrop was in December 2019 version update I expect it till the end of next month. If not, we have a backup plan to bring all to monthly until semi-annual will contain it and then se it back.

Tomas

Hi all - it would not work with me at all too... until about 5 mins ago when I updated my M365 Apps for Enterprise to Monthly 2004, Build 12730.20270.... and it worked... it finally worked! So I encourage you try the same if it afflicts you, and you are prompted with "update available"

Also, a workmate suggest I try some Outlook command line switches to clear the Outlook cache too, to see if that then got it working...

https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/commandlineswitches.htm#overview

But I got it working with that patch, so no need at my end. Hope the patch works for you too if still no luck for drag and drop via Outlook client.

Hi everyone, 

As of this week, we rolled out Drag and Drop functionality in Win32 to current channel users. Please give it a try and let us know your feedback. Thanks!

Working well for me so far, thank you. The most confusing thing for our users is how conversations are displayed in a group folder. Different to normal for some reason, but that's not really related to drag/drop.

One thing I did notice is that when moving a whole conversation from the inbox, it only moves the received emails. I then have to go back and move the sent ones separately which is a bit annoying.

It would also be nice to have the move feature working in Rules and Quick Steps

@Sri Ramya Mallipudi I'm sorry to say this is still not working for us. A few months ago we purchased Office 2019 in the hope that would make it possible, but it doesn't. Now I'm at Outlook 2019 Version 2004 (build 12730.20270 click and ready). But still I am unable to drop an e-mail from my inbox or public folder (which is what I want to be able to do) to a office 365 group. When are you going to make me happy?

@HE-MJ Thats strange it works for me in the build number.

@Peter Whitehouse Yes, but why not for me? :cry:

@Sri Ramya Mallipudi It really would be nice if you could tell me why it is not working for us. We've been waiting for this to happen for over a year now. Which is why we are still not able to move to Office 365 groups, instead of Public Folders. Maybe we can do a remote session with MS Teams to solve this once and for all?

@Sri Ramya Mallipudi We are having issues with emails older than 6 months. We are receiving the error 0x9CD4010F "The operation failed. An object cannot be found"

@Scott_Whitmore That's for sure something we would NOT want to happen. We have projects with emails older then 10 years ago that we occasionally still would want to be able to access. As we now can with public folders. Aslong as moving old existing e-mails to Office 365 groups does not proof to be reliable, we will need to keep storing our e-mails in Public Folders.

@HE-MJ I'm actually having the same issue with the web version of Outlook I believe. It seems it might not directly be related to the drag and drop feature of Win32 Outlook.

@Scott_Whitmore Ok, well, I'm not able to drag and drop any way so...