SOLVED

Is it possible to create Office 365 Groups with Azure AD PowerShell Module (2.0.0.98)?

MVP

It seems it's not possible an for now you can only create Security Groups...am I correct? cc @Vasil Michev @Tony Redmond

6 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

You have to use the New-AzureADMSGroup cmdlet to create a new Office 365 Group. This is a variation of New-AzureADGroup that uses the Microsoft Graph to create the group.

[PS] C:\> New-AzureADMSGroup -Description “A Group for Juan to play with” -DisplayName “Juan's Office 365 Group” -MailEnabled $true -SecurityEnabled $true -MailNickname “JuanGroup” -GroupTypes “Unified” 

But I would always run New-UnifiedGroup to create an Office 365 Group... 

Thanks Tony, I was missing the -GroupTypes "Unified" :-)...why do you say to run always New-UnifiedGroup?

Because when you run New-UnifiedGroup, the mailbox is created immediately. When you run New-AzureADMSGroup, the group object is created in AzureAD and then synchronized with EXO, which then creates the group mailbox. 

I think it depends a bit on the script you are building. If you want to create a new unified group and then immetiately execute a cmdlet that executes on the mailbox of the new group your best bet is New-Unifiedgroup, for the reason Tony explained. Please note though that in my test environment such a script will still fail about 25% of the time, since the mailbox may not be created yet when I execute the next cmdlet.
If your script sets a dynamaic rule for group membership on the new Unified group, you should use the New-AzureADMSGroup cmdlet, since the delay between New-UnifiedGroup and the actual creation of the groups in AzureAD will likely make a subsequent Azure AD cmdlet call fail if executed immediately after the New-UnifiedGroup cmdlet.  

Good points. Like any of the EXO cmdlets, it is wise to test that an object exists after creation before you proceed to try and use it. The point is that Office 365 uses a complete system of directory synchronization to ensure that objects show up at the right time in the right place and reasonably quickly to boot. So don't assume that something is there just because a cmdlet completes. Wait, test, and verify...

Thanks Tony and Rob...I was just testing these new cmdlets and I have learnt from your messages what I have to take into account when using one or another option
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

You have to use the New-AzureADMSGroup cmdlet to create a new Office 365 Group. This is a variation of New-AzureADGroup that uses the Microsoft Graph to create the group.

[PS] C:\> New-AzureADMSGroup -Description “A Group for Juan to play with” -DisplayName “Juan's Office 365 Group” -MailEnabled $true -SecurityEnabled $true -MailNickname “JuanGroup” -GroupTypes “Unified” 

But I would always run New-UnifiedGroup to create an Office 365 Group... 

View solution in original post